berley flares

i got a cool idea.I want to be able to throw berley off the beach or rocks into the water. I needs to sink to the bottom. It need to be heavy enough so i can throw them and heavy enough to not drift away. Imagine a slow release berley stream sitting on the bottom diffusing like a flare. It has to be cheap to make and environmenattly friendly.Ive made some with tuna oil and maggot juice berley. They worked well but need some more refiningCan anyone help or throw some ideas around?

Guest Butters

yeah kinda thought about the environmetal side of that one after i put it up haha...there would have to be some sorta material or something that could be used that would hold berley and slowy release it that is safe for the environment??do balloons break down over time??

It's a trick one about the balloons. They are made of rubber and doesn't rubber come off rubber trees so they are naturalish.I can just see a Dolphin swimming off and choking on a balloon.Theres gotta be a way. What about little seaweed balls you find on the beach?Crunch up shells and mix it in with the frozen berley

• 3 weeks later...

This does sound like a good idea, Maybe something like gutter guard, clipped together along the sides, with a weight inside to keep it in one place, this will help the burly flare out, the sea grasses would grow through in a short time, giving smaller baby fish a sheltered place to hide :roll:

• 8 months later...

I picked up a good trick years ago in WA, melt some solid cooking oil and mix it with your berley, add plenty of sand to increase weight, then set in fridge or freezer, you may have to experiment with a bucket of salt water to get the bouancy right, also works well for keeping berley in blocks on extended fishing trips where freezer space is limited and in a bag staked in the surf zone, cheers

• 2 months later...

I use a mix of berley and coarse sand about 40:60 sand moisten well with salt water and place in used milk cartons and deep freeze. When you want to use, cut off the milk carton and the frozen block will sink and slowly melt releasing the berley over about 15-20 minutes. Addition of oil tends to make things float!RogerG