Improving Drag on a rel

G'day all.as some of you may know, I'm heading to cairns soon and had sent a message to Kim at Salisbury tackleworld about ther reels I was taking.He has suggested I beef up the drag a bit, and was wondering if anyone here has done this on a Shimano 4500 eggy ?Ive also got a TLD25 that I'll take along as a "just in case " reel, but not sure if I'd need to beef that up too :unsure: I'd probbaly only use it if I came across something teh 4500 couldnt handle, such a s BIG kings/Tuna, or maybe even a small Marlin ;) :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

mrballs wrote:

Ranger wrote:

I didn't think TLD or charter special drags could be changed.

Carbontex available for both B)
Thanx MrB :) Will these simply take more pressure, and therefore heat, meaning a harder running fish can have more drag applied ?Ive never played around with drags; only used them as they come, so I'm a bit ignorant on the subject.Might have a chat with the boys at Salisbury tackleworld tomorrow if I get the chance :)

As the name suggests they're made of carbonfibre. With most of the drag upgrades i do i not only find a substantial increase in drag pressure but an increase in smoothness also. I normally grease them with a quality drag grease like 'cals' to further increase drag start up smoothness.You'll find a lot of reels on the market have a standard felt drag system which perform ok but is prone to problems when drag knobs are left done up tight. Also there are drag systems which for most anglers perform fine until put under a little extra pressure, dirty big black rays have a lot to answer for!TLD's and charter specials i think come with a good drag out of the box although there are some guys who want just a little more power than stock ;)So they definitely help but it really depends on pressures that are applied to the reel. Most guys who use heavier braid find carbontex to be an advantage.For guys who use abu reels these are a must! Unless your abu comes with the modern carbonmatrix drag system.hope this helps.

mrballs wrote:

For guys who use abu reels these are a must! Unless your abu comes with the modern carbonmatrix drag system.

The old Abu drags were shocking, a little bit of moisture in there and they'd just lock up, the new carbon drags are a thousand times better!
mrballs wrote:

TLD's and charter specials i think come with a good drag out of the box although there are some guys who want just a little more power than stock ;)hope this helps.

Thanks Mr BNot too fussed about the TLD, the way I figure it, if I hook anything big enough to need to getany extra power or drag out of a TLD25, that might be the least of my issues :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: