What is the best back pack to buy.I want to use it when i walk to the end of St Kilda breakwater or Outer Harbour break water.I want to use it for putting all my soft plastics and that for fishing so i dont have to bring my heavy tackle box with me.If any body has one for sale also i would be defently intrested.Thanking you Marc.

Guest SnappaHunta

Back packs are a great idea, and those spots you mentioned, are where I fish regularly when not in the boat. Last winter I had a massive stack at the end of st kilda and spent a week in bed off work. Massive thanks to the guys at st kilda tackle and Tucker that brought the 4WD half way as it was a bloody struggle getting back. Anyway, ever since then I've used a back pack, carrying the full tackle bag is nuts! So as to the BEST backpack, there is a cheap shop in the city just up from the mall on king William st( I'll get the name next time I go by if you want) $10 or $15 is all you need to pay, most back packs nowadays have an inside pocket for iPods and that... Perfect for soft plastics. You can get a caribee back pack from big W for about $30, they are pretty top quality, if you really want the BEST , I would get a BLACK WOLF backpack, they are the ultimate, but I haven't had one since I left the army and still felt adventurous lol, hard to justify $100 plus for one nowadays, but anyway hope this helps, and who knew I could write so much crap about back packs, wouldn't be without one on them rocks but.... See you out there mate!!!!!

I use a small, light weight caribee that has a main compartment and two smaller at the front. Main has an insulated section for a bladder which is where I throw the Sp's to keep them cool. Plenty of room for lure boxes and I always carry a few big ziplock bags for taking a few fish home for dinner.Two smaller compartments are perfect for leader, pliers, braid scissors, camera while the other takes the phone, wallet keys...Perfect for lure chucking and long walks along rock, beach, dams etc...

Anything by BlackWolf is usually good quality, Carribee is also good stuff.Word of advice. Dont get too sucked into bags that have five million differant pockets, zips, toggle, hangers, etc etc. Youll end up wishing y6ou just had bigger compartments for boxes etc and wont use a lot of the gimics.Two things that are useful though are rain covers that they build into some of them, and zsmall waterproof section for keys/phones.

Good advice Station..one more thing, once you have it fitted, cut or tape up all excess strap, na dget rid of all unneccesaary zip toggles etc... they will catch your line and have you wishing you did it earlier. There's nothing worse than being in the middle of a hot session and have to make your way to a suitable dry position to have to take off the back pack, put the rod down and untangle line from your backpack !!

Thanks guy's the information you provided is heaps help full.I will have a look at a few brands you mentioned and see how i go.Thanks heaps,and SnappaHunta i'll see you out at St Kilda like you said.Usually there on a Sunday morning.Thanks guys Marc. :)

I have a camelbak that i love and is handy to have a drink whenever i want without even putting my rod down. Thinking of investing in a new camelbak though so i can get one with a waterproof cover for when i'm fishing on rainy days. Bloody good value though. Mine cost $150 and i use it several times a week on my bike or fishing and its looking a bit worn but NOTHING has broken on it! Not even the 3L water bladder in it. I've owned it for 7 years now and its going as strong as the day i bought it!Its quite compact so it great for a quick session or scouting around in the hills/creeks. It also has a zip you can undo to expand the bag which increases storage massively but keeps the bag small if you don't have much in it