Fly Line Advice Needed

Hi All.. I'm after some advice on what line,leader,tippet, etc to use on my fly rog setup...!!!??? Its an old W.Carter & sons "cast master deluxe" from the UK.. There's no other writing on it, no weight etc.. It is a 2 piece 6 segment hand made cane rod with a fairly light action but I've got no idea what weight line to put on it so some advice would be really appreciated.. I would be mainly using it for fresh (trout etc) but maybe the odd bream might be on the cards...

Hi Fishzilla,Impossible to advise on line based on the information above. How long is the rod, may give some indication of what it was intended for.You will most likely just have to try a few lines to find one that suits the particular rod. A 5 weight would probably be a good starting point. A bamboo rod will usually cast a wider range of line weight than a carbon rob due to their own inherent weight. They do not solely rely on line weight to load.Better find someone with a few lines you can try. At the end of the day the right line is one that suits the rod and your casting style.As far as leader and tippet, keep it simple. For local freshwater situations, a standard 9ft tapered leader ending in a 3x or 4x tippet would be a good starting point.Good Luck!

Mate, get onto these guys,http://www.flyrodreel.com.au/ ,and look at the "monic" lines they have on there, they are pretty well priced and i can say they cast well with a cane rod. Three friends had made cane rods before i went ton the flylife forum trip last year and they all had different lines, every single person who had a cast with these rods with different lines agreed the monics were the preference, the only lines that we thought cast better were the silk lines from from nick tarantskys website, the silk lines are made for cane rods and by far are the best but need a ton of maintainance and are hella expensive.You can by "furled leaders" from the site above too, they help turn the fly over a little more on the cane rods.It would also be a good idea for you to look up some sites on the net about how to care for your cane rod, most guys put them in a rod sleeve and hang them in the cupboard with their shirts ect! cane rods will warp and buckle/twist with bad after use care, they need to be loved and all ferules dryed out ect ect, clean it and pack it away after every use and it will be fine.good luck.