The first Official Hand line challenge

Butters and i were mucking around with the concept of catching fish on hand lines for fun. Fishing is getting pretty advanced now with reels pulling heaps of drag, graphite rods, braided line, fluro carbons and much more. I set the challenge to see what sort of fish people can catch on a good old hand line. My bro in law opened the comp by fishing off the rocks in NSW with a tiny little handline. He is the crappest fisherman but was up to the challenge. He caught a little yak about 500gm on the hand line and thought he has rex hunt. He couldn't catch a fish on his rod though. Who's in?Imagine a salmon, maybe a snook or little snapper, anyone willing to take on ray or shark on a hand line. Ive seen a hand line with 100mt of 200lb mono on it. That should do for a kingy!Leader board1st placefred dog shark3kg 60cm2nd placemitch galkeyellow tail100gm 25cm

Guest Butters

i'm in for sure... will be coming to get an upgraded handline with some 200lb mono...i will be taking it every where i go with a steel trace and 10/0 ganged hooks... bring on summer and the bronzeys.. :lol: not sure about the kingies tho... i reckon they would pull you in the water... but serious i think they would :shock:

has any one tried yet? or have you all softed out
those are fighting words my friend.i know butters has a 200lb hand line and i've just packed my 80lb er for saturday on the tyre reef.I heard a rumour that yak is gonna pull a 2kg trout on a hand line.bring it on
Guest Butters

yeah gonna be packing my handline every time i go out... not sure if i should take it the power house tomorrow morning..i really think one of those would pull me in???summer will be the time.. i set a goal to pull a lil bronzie i reckon...

The first official entry into the hand line comp.This is mitchell galke my brother in law fishing from the rocks in nsw.My Bro in law is normally a pretty good fisherman, but was struggling to catch fish on a 10 footer so i told him about the challenge. He climbed down the rocks with a tiny little hand line and pulled a tiny kingfish. I estimate it to be 100gms and about 25cm. Not a world record but it is the first entry so he's winning at the moment. Not for long though.I'll put a leader board on the first post of this thread.Game on moles!!!!!!!! size=320http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/YSi4xrTh__mitch_hand_line_enrty.JPG[/img]

Had a cracker of a day yesterday off somerton. We were catching a good variety of fish so i chucked out my 80lb hand line with aa few bits of squid on it. A few minutes later it took off and my hand line was spinning across the bottom of the boat. I picked it up and knew i had a serious contender. because my cannons are so big it didn't take long for this master angler to land the new leader. I estimate it to be 30kg and about 6 foot. But it was really 2 foot and about 3kg but it is winning.Come on ladies.... catch me if you can!!!!!!!!!!!! size=320http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/rqGckAgJ__hand_line_comp.JPG[/img]

• 2 months later...
Guest xtrafishyfish
:lol::lol: watchout you don't get beaten by some 5 year old's first attempt at fishing on a family outing :shock: :lol: :lol:Those snapper in my avatar were all taken on handlines off Somerton when we fished for a living. I still use handlines for salmon and snook and also on KG whiting when they are touchyIt's fun using handlines.... hope ya get a decent fish {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

Hi good people i can remember helping a guy out once at Mandurah/NT bring in one of those sawfish shark thingys about 5ft he told me to hold the spool and he will let me know when it runs so i can let the spool gently spin in my hand Yeh right he wasnt only late with his calls but the spool never gently spun i had blisters on my hands for days so be careful guys and girls all the best lash