Fishing the spoiled ground middle of Vincent gulf?

Hi, I'm not after anyones exact GPS marks, but I was just wondering if anyone new the history or any interesting information about the area marked as "spoiled" or "dumping" ground in the middle of st Vincent gulf.I've got it marked as a rectangle 4km wide (east west) and 8km long (nth sth). If you were to draw a line between nth Haven and Port Vincent, the top of the rectangle would lie directly in the middle and just south of the line. Approx 30km from nth haven.I was talking to a mate of mine today, and he said that maybe ships used to dump their ballasts there in times gone by. This seems a bit far away from port to me, and the Ballast grounds I know of are a lot closer in.Anyway, this area interests me a fair bit. And for some reason I've never been near it in a boat. Although that might have to change as my curiosity starts to get the better of me ;)

Guest sofa king good
So you've been there a few times have you? :huh:
Maybe I have' date=' maybe I haven'twhy do you ask :huh:[/quote']Because I bet its the later & if I'm wrong & it is the former I'd love to hear more of your wisdom & knowledge on the subject
So you've been there a few times have you? :huh:
Maybe I have' date=' maybe I haven'twhy do you ask :huh:[/quote']Because I bet its the later & if I'm wrong & it is the former I'd love to hear more of your wisdom & knowledge on the subject
How exactly do you pronounce that name of yours Sofa King Good, let me guess SO - FAKING-GOOD ???? Surely that's inappropriate enough to be banned???? Because surely if I said faaaark, that wouldn't be tolerated either.Also, it probably wasn't "SOFAKINGGOOD" to refer to the entire suburb of Daveron Park as "ferals". Apologies, but you kinda get my point B)
wouldnt be 'the silt' grounds ' date=' out from black point ?seen some ripper snapps from there over the yearsbrent[/quote']might be the same spot B2 :unsure: You're not talking about long spit are you? Then again there's so many spits, sandbars etc in our gulf that unless you've been theres and done that its easy to get confused what is where sometimes:whistle:

Brenton is correct! It was a dumping ground for dredgings. It was one of two chosen areas for this purpose, and a lengthy appraisal and research project was performed to determine the most suitable spot, with the least environmental impact, taking into account wave action, water depth, substrate composition, resident species, sea grasses, etc.I have a lot of information on it here somewhere, which I will try to search out for you later, coz at the moment my head is still a little broken, as a result of a visit from Goldy's Fishing last night! :blush: Sofa King Good? Hmmmmm! Be warned, a couple of members have already reported this to us, the staff have been in discussion as to the suitability of this username, and a staff member will be making contact in regards to this in the very near future.......as a friendly word of advice, best you start thinking up a new name if you wish to remain and post here! Thanks also to the people who took the time to bring it to our attention!Play nicely guys! ;) Oh, by the way, I live in a suburb close by Davoren Park! Yes, I'm sure the people who live there WOULD be offended, the FERALS that they are! I shiver as I drive through the place, and cant wait for the government to napalm the entire suburb!.........just my own opinion of course!

Brenton is correct! It was a dumping ground for dredgings. It was one of two chosen areas for this purpose' date=' and a lengthy appraisal and research project was performed to determine the most suitable spot, with the least environmental impact, taking into account wave action, water depth, substrate composition, resident species, sea grasses, etc.[/quote']That would have been the one done a few years ago Ranger, when the inshore water was cloudy for months :( Dunno if that was in the same area, unless it was dumped over the top of, or next to, the original ground formed when the channel was first established :unsure:

Cheers for the help on this one.It just goes to show, you can get a boat in the gulf and sound around for a bit and at first you could be forgiven for thinking that the whole place is a barren wasteland. Get a few marks and expand your thinking and find a few bits here and there on the way to marks and suddenly it's all a bit exciting underneath. But for me, my own little marks and regularly stomping grounds are really only the tip of the iceberg.... and people reckon they would get bored or still work if they won lotto!!!! I know what I'd be doin ;)

Guest Brent61southoz
wouldnt be 'the silt' grounds ' date=' out from black point ?seen some ripper snapps from there over the yearsbrent[/quote']might be the same spot B2 :unsure: You're not talking about long spit are you? Then again there's so many spits' date=' sandbars etc in our gulf that unless you've been theres and done that its easy to get confused what is where sometimes:whistle:[/quote']might be better to explore this place than some of those 'hot spots' youve tried latelybrent