Jigging for Snapper

G'day guys,I'm new to the forum here, I've heard its a great community with lots of helpful people.My Dad and I have been fishing for Snapper on Yorke Peninsula with great success over the past couple of years. However we have only been using baits (squid, tommies, gar, etc.) and I would like to try out the concept of jigging.We fish in about 9 meters of water and catch fish up to 25lb but most around the 16lb mark. I need some help in choosing some bodies and jig heads that would best suit this application.Any help would be much appreciated.Thanks for your time.

hey mate ive only done a lil bit of jigging for snapper because ive only been out fishn for snaps a number of times but every time ive been invited ive had success. first id be looking at how hard the water runs at your spot and if there is not much current id be using a 60-80g jigg i love the lucanus jig. nothing else i can really say other then choose your jig for the depth of water and the water movement cheers tp.

Hi Freebez.:cheer: Its hard to tell if you want to fish with soft plastics (Jig Heads and Soft plastics) or if you want to jig for them.Both styles are completely different.:ohmy: Snapper respond well to soft plastics and the common size that you will have success on 15lb plus fish is the five and seven inch soft plastics. Twin Power has quite rightly mentioned that current or tidal flow dictates how much weight your jig head should be.Generally though (and this is only my opinion), I would be using a 1/2 ounce or 3/4 ounce jig head and a 7inch plastic.Plastics that I have had success on are the Gulp 7inch Jerk Shads in colours such as Nuclear Chicken, Sardine and New Penny.B) B) You can also use the Squidgie 110mm flick baits or other big paddle tail squidgies.I would also look into the Berkley 6inch curl tail grubs in colours like Nuclear Chicken, Cartruese (fluro green), Sardine and New Penny. Now Jigging is another technique and involves either knife jigs or jigs such as lucanus or octo style jigs (little octupus imitations) I have found that the 80-120gm weights are great and the lumo pattern is the best in the Lucanus jig.:cheer: :cheer: With Knife jigs you are best to choose a pattern that looks like a baitfish and you can use a cast and retrieve technique with a metre high lift or jerk the rod tip sideways by a metre when retreiving or if in deep water and you are directly above a school you can drop the jig vertically straight up and down and just give the rod tip some quick lift and drops. But most of your fish you will hook within 5metres from the bottom.Lucanus jigs are designed to be slow rolled or just slowly cast and retrieved back to the boat. But in saying this you can have either a soft plastic or lucanus style jig just set up on a rod that is in the water and is just sitting in a rod holder and the motion of the boat, ie movement up and down will impart enough action to entice a hook up. Just have your drag set firm so the hooks will set but the fish can pull line off under pressure.anyway, I hope this has helped you out a bit.;) Heres a pic of a Big Red taken on my favourite soft plastic, a Chartruse Berkley 6" Grub. These are dynamite on big hungry reds.Cheers Brett.BigRedMadKeen12122010_2011-03-06.jpg

Looks like you've covered it UHF' date=' nice work mate. Love that photo, :woohoo: who's the good looking young lad in the background? ;) :silly: :dry:[/quote']:laugh: Yeah I dont know who that guy is:laugh: :laugh: lol, but he was a bit of a gun snapper angler.The Lad can fish thats for sure. You know what I love about that charter was everyone was keen to help each other out and everyone had so much fun. Tangles were quickly sorted. In fact where there any bustoffs that you can remember.I didnt drop a fish all day. everything I hooked I got up.:PWas a joy to fish with Good Anglers. Most charters you have some mates, but some of the mates would know how to fish to save their lives. Some cant even get the fish off the hooks.:ohmy:

HATE USING LUCANUS JIGS THINK THERE CRAPI USE:30lb braid to bimin twist to albright 40lb flurocarbonReel= Daiwa Branzino 3000Rod = Daiwa Saltiga Bay jigger 20lbGEAR TO THAT OR SMILIAR WILL DO THE JOB DONT USE HEAVY OR IT WONT WORKis all you needget yourself some 84g 7/0 Nitrojig headsand some PINK 5-7inch soft plasticsI USE MCARTHYS NO1 STOCKS THERE HERE GET THEM FROM INTERSTATEHAVE USED SHIMANO SQUIDGIES, AND SLAM BUT FIND THERE NOT THT GOODPINK IS BEST COLOR IVE FOUNDand youll get fish like these and biggerPosted Image 9KGPosted Image9KGPosted Image6KGalso you gotta try new techniques see what works best for the snapperthe lighter you fish the more hits you feel and fish youu'll hook. theres a viedo off me in the Video Forum of me landing one have look its good fish Posted Image3KGPosted Image3KGGIV IT A GO ITS BETTER THEN BAIT I NEVER EVER WILL USE BAIT AGAIN ONA BOAT FOR SNAPPEROF FISH HEAVYER THEN 40LBGOOD LUCK