Drilling Stainless

If you don't want to outlay the big bucks for a set of cobalt drill bits for drilling stainless steel, try using fresh lemon juice as a cutting fluid, trust me it works.A lot of alloy steels have a tendency to "work harden" this means if they're stressed in any way they'll tend to change properties in that area i.e. at the point where the drill bit cutting edge engages the steel, for some reason? something in lemon juice inhibits this tendency.This trick was shown to me many years ago by an old German welder.Cheers, Spog

smoked manly drill bits over the years

must have been a bitch to light & drag onSorry Livebait, couldn't let that one pass
You forgot to add "easy to roll" {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifI know very sad {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif but i am bored {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifAbu

I've drilled a few holes in stainless myself and the main thing is not to use high speed when drilling it. If your drill doesn't have variable speed just pull the trigger quickly and release it again before the drill picks up too much speed, also push down firmly so that the drill is always cutting as when it spins without cutting it is starting to heat the bit an the stainless.Never tried the lemon juice as I use proper cutting fluid or nothing at all, must give it a go one day!Drawn

• 1 month later...