SARFAC its FUTURE and ROLE

One of issues arising from the marine park debate is how can rec fishers present a unified front and message.There is now mention of a new political party "South Australian Fishing and Lifestyle Party".Without doubt, Trever Watts - SARFAC have done an outstanding job with extraordinarly limited resources. Totally unfair on the individuals involved.So, what is the best method of developing either SARFAC or "Fishing Council"that has the capacity to effectively Communicate.......Consult.......Negotiate solely on behalf of rec. fishers.Whatever the organisation, it must be fully resourced to be effective, we cannot expect individuals to subsidise these functions from their own pocket.My personal view, and it is biased as I come from a background of an 'industry specific' Council - is to become a member of and support a similar body with regional groups. Minor political partys may have a role but unless they either solely or as a group have the balance of power, their influence is almost zero.So, what are the views of S&H members? It's an easy question but not so simple answer.A properly resourced, SARFAC is the ideal vehicle. (personal view)

My view is that moreso than needing a unified front to communicate, we need a group which can then present that front to parliament to have legislation altered (ie: the marine park fiasco and uproar).SARFAC cannot do this for us, as an MP is required to propose change to any legislation, not a representative group. The best way to get an MP on side is through a political party, no matter how minor or major, or no matter where the balance of power lies, which is why I suggested the "fishing & lifestyle" party as a political platform group who already claims to represent us and our chosen way of life.I'm uncertain as to what is currently being done, as I'm not hearing a lot from SARFAC, and upon checking the website it has not been updated since 2009, does not include discussion or update on the marine parks (apart from a link to the government propaganda website), and that does not instill confidence at such a late stage of the process: http://www.sarfac.com//public/?p=8To fully resource and fund a group such as SARFAC it would no doubt rely on rec fishers reaching into their pockets for membership. Naturally the extent of funding would depend on the depth and breadth of pockets opened to it, and I feel certain the first question members would want answered is "what will we get for our money?"That question would require a formal proposal of some kind, as to how the group will be staffed, it's aim, role, methods and function. Who can answer that until the wheels have begun turning and the groundwork has been done?

B@K, the South Australian Fishers and Lifestyle party is not that new.SA Fishers and Lifestyle PartyIt has been around since 2007 contesting for a senate seat and last election got 0.73% of the vote. In the 2006 election as the Recreational Fishers Party they got 0.2% of the vote. So a pretty big positive swing so far.It seems to be more moderate than the Australian wide branch that is on a joint ticket with Shooters party in NSW and focused much more on fishing and lifestyle rather than other matters (such as the NSW shooters party jumping in against the carbon tax and in support of the coal industry, not exactly topics that really represent shooting and fishing now are they?) and focused on trying to maintain a sustainable fishing experience with minimal regulation and impact.For reference in the 2010 election: ABC Legislative Council ResultsThey are not likely to get a senate seat any time soon but how their preference flows go means they do have some impact on pushing their views. To get a seat in the senate next election they would need to get at least 1.2% of the vote which is not that unattainable but unlikely. The shooters party has typically out polled them in SA since they are not on a joint ticket which I think is somewhat strange since I think there are far more recreational fishers than shooters in SA. I suspect it needs better marketing which if these protests against the marine parks achieve could only be good for the party.For now they are the most aligned political party to recreational fishing issues.

oops about the 'new' but that's how they were described in the media.Interested to know how the Fishing and Lifestyle Party" will be funded if it's not through rec fishers digging into their own pockets and putting in countless voluntary hours.Whichever way, it's going to cost.

As we are all well aware of the Fishing and Lifestyle Party where at the meeting on Tuesday handing out there details, but again they havent contacted any anglers that I know of and have no real plan which will enable them to get any results.They cant just be waiting for elections. Someone needs to lead this group as soon as possible. Surely if they wanted to secure every anglers vote they would be working on a plan as we speak?? But I bet there not!!Dissapointing!!!

Interested to know how the Fishing and Lifestyle Party" will be funded if it's not through rec fishers digging into their own pockets and putting in countless voluntary hours.

I believe you are correct, and that it will certainly also require a membership fee from supporters.

At this particular point in time, Im certainly not prepared to fund SAFLT out of my own pocket, if they cant even get something up on thier website from Tuesday just gone.They could of even just put, thanks for a massive turn out at the Burnside meeting, Just to let you know we are with you 100 percent and stay tuned for further announcements/action.

At this particular point in time' date=' Im certainly not prepared to fund SAFLT out of my own pocket....[/quote']Just on a personal note, I too have a problem with becoming a member, supporter, funder of ANY political party.I traditionally dont vote for "single platform" parties, as I feel as much as we may be concerned with the future of our rec fishing (lifestyle), there are much more important issues come time to vote. Housing, health services, infrastructure, unemployment, education, etc, etc, and these are the things I tend to consider first and foremost come time to vote.Having said that, I guess I'm a bit of a hypocrite, because if there is a thorn in my side over an issue such as this marine park scenario, then I still want an organisation such as F&L Party to be acting on my behalf.....I guess I want my cake and to eat it too! :blush:

As mentioned earlier, this is an easy question to ask but there is no quick fix answer to how best obtain effective representation.In the YP Country Times, Mr Armstrong is quoted as saying "the party will be fielding a number of candidates in the 2014 state election for the Legislative Council and depending on funding, for the House of Assembly"Unless people have the media and political savvy, it's a brutal environment that takes no prisoners.I've witnessed this first hand as a family member is (now retired) a former politician and Minister and another family member is currently a political adviser in Canberra - so I have the opportunity to draw on their advice and experience.And UHF, haven't got an answer mate...........but there should be one!!

It just strikes me as odd that the SAFLT could have members at the meeting and be witness to something that should be such a core issue to the party and be handing out details as if saying here we can help you but then not offering any short term help.it is like me (Im in accounts Payable) going oh jenny you have a bill to pay. When you have a bill to pay think of me..but dont ask me to pay it now or dont think Im going to offer to pay it either.Just when you think of bills keep me in mind.Kind of not really doing my job properly. Or atleast thats the appearance that the party is unfortunately portraying.If anyone knows any members, please let them know this and hopefully they can turn it around quickly.And yes B@K there is no immediate answer which = major frustration to the point of sinking my own artificial reef close to an accessable ramp with no marine park nearby and I think a number of anglers are probably thinking along the same lines about now. Hey atleast my future purchase of my snapper boat is not going to cost me as much..you beauty.And I couldnt agree with you more Ranger, its hard to vote for such parties and trust them with other significant issues for which they dont really care that much about and probably dont have significant knowledge in. When you have a family too it makes it even more crucial that your vote goes to the right place.I liked it better when I was single and didnt vote.did I say that out loud.?

Now we are getting to the crutch of the issue :huh: and beware folks coz not all is as it may seem at times.Being a traditional 1 above the line voter :clap: :clap: and the last election being an all to lose proposition anyway :whistle: :whistle: I was tempted to swing a vote left of centre :woohoo: :woohoo: Thankfully, I gave it some serious thought prior to such :blink: :blink: coz after voting & reading the sold out preferences I'm glad I did :angry: :angry: take a guess where Fishing & lifestyle party preferences went :blush: :blush: take a guess where Family First preferences went :blush: :blush: take a guess where Fishing & Shooters party preferences went :blush: :blush:Guys, you are on your own :evil: :evil: none of them give a swinging rats turd about anyone of or all of us :c :c its all just political grandstanding :whistle: :whistle: Finatic

I think the answer is to help SARFAC to help us. They would be a lobby group for 236,000 recreational anglers - regardless of which party is in power and that's a lot of votes.Maybe in time a party like the FLP would come to represent us in the House, but that looks a long way off at the moment..and. Just maybe, after all the current noise the major parties will each decide to have a portfolio and minister to cater specifically for recreational fishing (long overdue).In either case SARFAC would still represent the united voice of recreational anglers in the state. Hard to see how any one politician could manage that as effectively as a properly funded SARFAC could.Cheers,

It would almost be silly of the government to fund SARFAC right now, as it would be funding one government dept to fight against another government dept, and would basicaly show that it can't figure much out, as it needs two departments going head to head to sort out the current shit fight.So in my eyes until the Parks are completely implemented, and by then it will obviously be to late, then the government will go to SARFAC and say "you must be important, so here have some funding" but this will be after the battle has been fought and one by DENH at the detriment of anglers.

Can't hardly believe that I'm saying this - I've always opposed an RFL.Maybe the best way out of this mess (non representation of rec fishers) is to put the MP process on hold, implement a Recreational Fishing Licence and use the proceeds exclusively to fund SARFAC and remove them from any Government influence.Then restart the whole MPA circus with a revitalised SARFAC doing the job for us.Remember, there's absolutely no need for this MPA program to be completed according to the current Govt/DENR schedule and legislation can be ammended if the political will exists.What's the rush?We must have effective representation for 236,000 rec fishers - it's long overdue.Regards,

Remember' date=' there's absolutely no need for this MPA program to be completed according to the current Govt/DENR schedule and legislation can be ammended if the political will exists.What's the rush?[/quote']the only rush is on their behalf, as they signed an international agreement stating it will be completed by 2012.....I dont recall any form of consultation with any usergroup on that though!

I did notice that the Marine Parks (No to no take zones) was a massive issue on Page 32&33 in the advertiser again either yesterday or the day before! So its still making massive news and yet we are still totally in THE DARK AND LEADERLESS AND DIRECTIONLESS. WTF??BUT what I did notice is that maybe Trevor from Sarfac has been busy talking with the Media?But it still appears he has made no progress on the website which I would think is his best form of communication with anglers that he represents?Ive got to say, this whole situation REMAINS a massive debacle at the moment?Does anyone have Trevors direct email so I can email him?

Today a very important Report has been released and here is some information from this report!!.This report is what I believe SARFAC Could utilise in its fight against marine park No-Take Zones.I understand that this report is advocating RFL's but even if RFL's where not taken into consideration there are some key points within this report in which I have put in RED.Report calls for national campaign to protect recreational fishingA detailed report released today has recommended a national campaign to challenge the many threats facing Australia’s most popular recreational pursuit.Titled ‘Keep Australia Fishing’, the independent report was commissioned by the Boating and Fishing Council of Australia (BFCA) and prepared by former UK politician and Sydney resident Martin Salter.Mr Salter, who served as Parliamentary Spokesman for Angling under the governments of both Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, said the 54-page report drew on “best practice” from other countries around the world where recreational fishing was properly respected and valued as a significant economic contributor.Australia’s recreational fishing industry has been under threat for many years, from fish kills on major rivers, habitat degradation, urban pollution and unjustified marine park lock-outs,” Mr Salter said.“While Australia still boasts some of the best recreational fishing in the world, pressure is mounting from poor land use practices and extreme Green movements that regard anglers as part of the problem rather than the solution.“Responsible recreational anglers are the true guardians of the aquatic environment and sensible conservationists should be working with them to protect and enhance our fisheries.”Some of the report’s key recommendations include:The Keep Australia Fishing Campaign – an independent body led by the tackle and boating industries to lobby on behalf of recreational fishing, to promote the sport among young people and to effectively challenge actions and practices that are harmful to fishing and fisheries; (note 1) A new mass membership national peak body – recreational fishing licence (RFL) holders to be members of a new peak advocacy body with full voting rights as in Holland and New Zealand; (note 2) Independent Recreational Fishery Trust Funds – funded through state RFL revenues and controlled by anglers, free from political patronage; Tougher rules on pollution and habitat degradation – a complete overhaul of allowable chemical discharges into watercourses and possible civil action against polluters; Ending unwarranted lock-outs of recreational anglers from marine parks – building community support for proper science-based conservation measures; Regular surveys on economic benefit – there is an estimated three million recreational anglers in Australia and potential economic benefit of up to $10 billion annually, although accurate figures are needed; Policy development through an Australian Charter for Angling – the emergence of minority parties representing anglers only highlights the failure of too many politicians to take anglers concerns seriously.Other key points from main report: (note 3)Closing inshore reefs and waters in metropolitan areas to commercial fishing so these popular and pressured areas get to become recreational-only fisheries; Recreational only status for marlin and other designated sport fish species; Restrictions on beach netting and targeting of spawning aggregations; Statutory duty on public bodies to promote recreational fishing; Opening up of water supply dams to anglers; Updated fisheries and environmental legislation.Please find PDF versions of the Report and Report Summary below:Executive Summary 2011 Final Report 2011

Another key paragraph from the Keep australia Fishing report:A Fresh Approach to Marine parks and the EnvironmentIn addition to challenging the basis of many of the existing Sanctuary Zones within theAustralian Marine Parks, there is both scope and precedent for arguing that the presence ofrecreational fishers aids enforcement and compliance and can provide an invaluable sourceof data and information which the lock outs currently prevent. We will not unscramblethe current network of Marine Parks but we should be aiming to re-shape what occurswithin them and to review the criteria for their introduction and implementation using bestpractice from elsewhere.

• 2 months later...

I have just read through your posts on this thread, and I was just wondering, who do you expect to represent you and all anglers for nothing. SARFAC are a government funded organisation, and as you know underfunded and understaffed, and I believe with this distinct disadvantage they do a fantastic job for our benefit. But lets face it , if we anglers truley want the representation we deserve, then dont expect much for nothing, otherwise pick up the phone and join. It costs about $55.00 to be a non active member, $120.00ish if you want to be an active member, and remember if you pay you have a say. Even 20,000 members will raise the funding to SARFAC significantly, enough to represent us in the way we deserve, and the more members the greater the voice, then you will get politicians jumping on board, 236000 votes is what they are after, and having that large a group of voters is very desirable to pollies!!!!!You want that kind of representation, then put your money on the table, JOIN SARFAC.I am a member and my son has just joined, its a small price to pay, its up to you, if you want to save fishing for yourself and future sons , daughters, families, just do it.regards snapdragin