tuna light gear lures

its tuna time again and after hearing there are sheet loads of smaller models around at the moment i am wondering what you guys prefer in the light range of lures..as well as my normal tuna stuff im taking my 3-6kilo shimano fire blood rod with a 2500 fire blood reel 30lbs saltiga surf braid hehe just to see what it can do and just hope only a small one grabs it prob just get spooled but worth a crack :fishing:

Before i comment let me say i've never caught a tuna but talking to a bloke who was on a charter out of Marion Bay last week it seems its all about matching what they are feeding on,most of the lures that were on board at the time were too big and he would of given his right arm for some flickbaits or power minnows but he was pretty lucky and they were taking anything even bare jigheads.Small metal slices would be great to have in the arsenal and anything that resembles a pillie or frogmouth pilchard.On this charter they caught 100 plus tuna to 15 kilos when the bait was balled up under the boat,at the beginning of the session the baitball was the size of a couple of semi trailers and after the mayhem finished in about 90 mins the bait that was left was reduced a couple of metres round balls...thats some session. cheers brenton

Standard slices, cast better than jig heads. Sometimes you need the distance in the cast to get to them before they sound.One other thing is to drop the treble and put on a single. On a small metal splice like a sure knight or something the trebles are to small and have a tendency to bend, get some assist hooks and match the size of the hook to the lure. I reckon for the price you cant go wrong. I have used my bream gear on 8 - 12kg Northern Blues but in a tinnie you can chase them. I reckon 15 - 20lb braid would be fine and give you a few extra meters in casting as well. A short butt rod will leave you hurting...