Setting the Hook?

Hey everyone just wondering I am doing some fishing for Rays and possibly Sharks this weekend. What way when there is no real drag do you guys set the hook. I am not 100 percent sure. I just thought back drag off when the fish starts running with bait. Grab rod, lock up drag and strike hard. Help would be awesome!! :)

Well, TT, I'd use Circle Hooks and set the drag to fighting drag. Then back it off a touch. The Circles will hook in themselves. I admit though that I use this method for nothing bigger than Snapper, but it works very well. Had a few hook ups on big rays out there as well, and it worked well then too.

Grab rod' date=' lock up drag and strike hard. Help would be awesome!! :)[/quote']It depend on your reels set-up a bit also TT. A Bait runner or lever drag reel has the advantage of presetting the drag, so you can freespool a fish as it runs , and then knock the reel into gear when you strike.If the reel doesnt have these features a lot of fishos just cup the spool with their hand as they wind their outfit up to a fighting drag. Just be careful of scorched fingers doing this. Ive done that just on carp, so Im sure a decent Ray or Shark would too :blink: :pinch: As Boyi said, preset to fighting drag has its advantages, but dont forget to secure your rod somehow if doing this to avoid it going for a costly swim :S :whistle: :c Good luck with it :fishing::clap:

i use a penn senator 9/0 i personally i jus leave it in free spool with the ratchet on with it set to fighting drag give it a good 10seconds to run with the bait, if its gonna get hooked it keep runnin with it, then i step to the edge lower the tip take a few good steps backwards (to help take up slack an line stretch best i can) an strike like hell... seem's to do the trick for myself pretty well..good luck