Lure Repository

I'm not a lure users myself yet, but getting the 'fishing disease' coming on big time it'll be no doubt only weeks or months before I break out a lure to try. I notice on SH that there are millions of threads to follow on "What do I use for....", or "What's the best lure for...." so I thought about getting a repository together, a single location we can point people to (especially new lure users) where we can supply a fisho's feedback on what type of lure for what sort of fish and/or conditions....and we dont have to dig up old threads or post the same guff over and over again.I was thinking about throwing together a quick web page with a massive list of common SA fish and allowing you guys an area to add your two cents worth, then after a month or so, collate the data and set up a database whereby you can reference opinions on what lure to buy and when/what lure to use for certain fish or conditions.What are your thoughts? If you like the idea I'm happy to whip something interactive up for ya's, we just need to discuss how we'd best present the information (ie. by category, or weight, or fish type etc)I open the floor to you all :)

Great idea basically mate but, what we generally do is point the questioner to a link on the topic and they are instantly locked in to all the available info we've all put up there.Problem with this is that you may have to look back through hundreds of posts over the years and,if this was an option, for someone who had the time and energy, I'd suggest maybe having a header of a particular species of fish and then check out all the links to the posts and include them under that heading.This can be complemented by any Forum user if they come across an interesting piece on a species and they could add that to build up the data bank? Makes it interactive and all can join in?I'll kick it off with one of my favourite species and a link to one of the most interesting posts IMO.Redfin Perch: Perca Fluviatillushttp://www.strikehook.com/forum/23-freshwater-fishing/90072-10-kg-redfin-fact-or-fiction

Enthusiasm gets you everywhere in life mate, well it should anyway.Have a good poke around the web, heaps of books and sites out there.The guys here can tell you anything you need to know about the species of choice regarding lures, lines, leaders, swivels vs clips, reels, rods, boats, kayak...the questions are endless and one question always leads into another.You would almost need to start another fishing forum...and well, you can't beat this one :)

Woody, if I could put my own thoughts in, I wonder where it would actually end, and how much work it would take to keep it current and up to date.For lures, there is already a "Lure Encyclopedia" in the market, which covers all available lures. A database would be a direct reproduction of this book, but then where do we actually stop?A database for all available reels, all available rods, all available lines, swivels, hooks, etc, etc, all needing constant updating every time something new hits the market.Although databases are fine, here we have a forum, and on forums the same questions will continually pop their head up, with the big difference that members can discuss the matter to provide so much more helpful and up to date information than simply "what lure".Members will put their heads together to discuss the specific area in question, the tides, the weather conditions, water clarity, the time of year, structure found in the area, appropriate leader choice, rod length and action, line choice, all very pertinent stuff when directing someone to the most favourable lure selection of choice. Stuff specific to their needs, and providing so much more information than a database of products can ever provide. There a whole lot more to lure fishing than just "what lure".We also need to bear in mind, that after seeing the same lure presented over and over, fish will actually learn to refuse it, and something different is required to entice a bite, so for example the Ecogear SX-40 is a successful bream lure. After having local anglers throw SX-40's at the local fish population for so many years now, maybe the fish are shying away from them, and a Smith Jade is actually doing the damage in it's place. You can only learn that through local knowledge from people willing to share information, not a database of lures.Successful lure choice comprises so many different things, that a database couldn't possibly help any poster as much as local knowledge, discussion and input can.I think at the end of the day, I may sound like an old stick in the mud, poo-pooing a potential idea. The thought was certainly there, but a database and a forum are two entirely different things, and keeping an up to date database to fulfill all the different aspects of fishing areas, species, needs and requirement would be a very consuming job for someone involving a whole lot more than simply lures.

The idea was for you fishos to provide a place for new fisho's like me a central location for data, so we don't have to continually post the same stuff over and over again, or as a reader, sift through the same questions over and over again.All good, I've found another project that needs my attention :)

Woody, no need to apologise for throwing an idea out.If I can go on a little further, we would normally discuss these things privately with you, but as it's already here on the forums for discussion, I will also discuss our thoughts publicly this time.There are still many changes planned for the site here which haven't been implemented nor intended for discussion with members until plans are set and firm decisions are made regarding implementation.Even though we dont consider a database as such to be an inclusion in those plans, there is something I'd like to discuss which is in the pipeline, which will fulfill a similar role, albeit on a much larger scale than just a lure repository.Our plans include what may be called a "species repository" for want of a better word at this stage. Whereby members can click on a tab relating to each individual species of fish to find daily bag limits, minimum size limits, distribution, etc.Included under each species will be links to all relevant strikehook topics pertaining to the species, whereby members can easily access every past thread involving this species, without searching through reams of past threads. By working through the provided links members will access threads on baits, lures, tackle, locations, techniques, etc, etc, in fact all discussions pertaining to the species in question, which should provide endless relevant information accessed by thread title. ie:GARFISHBurleying for GarButterflying GarfishWhen do garfish begin to run?How do I bridle rig a garfish?My day on the gar at Semaphore ReefWhat's the best baits when Gar get finicky?Can I catch Gar on lure?Should I use tuna oil or fish oil in my burley?My battered garfish recipeETCETCETCPlans include a request for any interested site members to come aboard the team here, whose task will be to monitor new threads, and update the appropriate species list with links to the new threads constantly going onto the boards.Naturally this will take quite some time to implement, it will not be a database, but we feel it will fulfill a much greater need, and offer so much more to users.Naturally we normally prefer not to discuss these ideas for change with members until they have been properly explored, firm plans are made, a timeline is set and we can provide proper and correct details. After all, we don't want to look silly making an announcement for something which later proves unviable and is scrapped for inclusion.As things get closer, should these plans continue into fruition, all site members will be notified, and we will put out a request for interested members to also become involved, as the current site staff already have a large workload to deal with, and we will require more hands if this is to work.This is only one of even more proposed and planned future changes, which will help build the site to levels far greater than it's current form and membership.I hope this helps explain why we initially displayed little interest in a lure database. All ideas are welcomed for consideration though, but can I ask that if you have ideas for change, instead of proposing them to the members for discussion and public debate, to contact Aarron himself, run the idea past him, and if it shows merit and fits with current plans it could THEN be put out for public discussion with site members, to gauge whether it would be considered a worthwhile addition and/or utilised by members.

I thought it was quite a unique idea. If you can convince the lure manufacturers to supply pics and details each time a new lure is release then they get "advertising" and we get an A - Z on lures (Australian and or International?) Update and management would be a nightmare.....Woody I have a couple of ides like that but more on what you own and what to use for a given situation. Cheers