A couple of quick queries regarding an OH rod

I've already looked into this a bit but I figure I’ll get a few opinions on my specific situation :S I was looking at a rod in my shed today when I was giving them their monthly wipe down to get rid of dust and I've realised one of these rods is an OH rod.It is an Ugly Stick Gold 6ft 6-8kg Medium action OH rod. I bought it a few years back and only used it every so often but recently I have been using it a lot more. I now strap my ci4 4000 on it for snapper fishing and have fought and landed around 8-10 fish over 70cm (up to 1m) with no troubles what so ever… I will probably continue to use it as a spin rod but I was wondering has anyone ever had problems doing this? On a different note, as I was going over the rod I realised I’ve busted the ceramic ring in the rod tip :blink: . Considering it’s a rod I don’t use all that often and will probably be replaced in the next few months I’m going to give the repair a crack myself. So I just have a quick question… Without going into a shop is there anywhere on the net I can work out what rod tip I need to buy to replace it?Cheers for any help and/or opinions :boat:

most rod tips/top eyes are just heat shrinked on.. so get a lighter.. and gentley warm it up and pull it off.. then stick new one on.. heat it up.. and done...OH rods as with all rods have a back bone that flexes dominantly. you may run the risk of breaking the rod using it " upside down"

Not too fussed if it breaks :) I have heard it is a lot easier to break them as they are not designed to bend that way but considering the abuse it has taken so far i'm pretty confident it will keep on running for a while! Can anyone suggest a good site to find the eye on? I reckon I need one for a surf rod i have too..

Ricksters advice is on the money.Tips are not "heat shrinked" on. Well not anything of any quality anyway!Heat is the best way to remove them, but beware......Too much heat will damage the blank, particularly if fibreglass!I use a small amount of petrol or other suitable flamamble substance in a suitable, small metal container. Place the tip over or in the flame sparingly, and with some pliers gently try to remove the tip from the blank. I have seen some use those small butane torches to good effect here and these are probably a better thing than my method, but I am a tight RS!Once the old tip is removed, you could either take this to the local store for an exact replacement or the rod. Perhaps both. Then an exact replacemnt can be found to suit the eye size & blank diameter.Most places will usually fit the new eye for just the cost of the runner as well so you dont need to bother with the rest of the job.I'd suggest getting two however as that way you will have a spare if you manage to break it again on an extended trip. Except for the higher end guides, they are generally inexpensive & can save the day on an otherwise useless outfit.

Gday.That youtube video is pretty spot on the money.Tip tops are usually glued on (hot melt glue or either a 2 part glue like Araldite), and then in some cases, partially bound over with thread then epoxied.If this is the case, you'll need to scrape off the epoxy and thread with a SHARP knife before applying mild heat then force to the offending broken tip top.These tip guides come in a huge range of materials, colours and sizes. The actual eyelet size should be around the size of the eyelet on the last actual guide. The other way they're measured is in the size of the "tube" that slides down over the blank - these are either mesured in mm and are sized in .2mm graduations or in thousands of an inch if you're drinking Budweiser and driving on the right side of the road.The best way to get a good fit of the tip top is to get the blank all cleaned up nicely then just slide a range of guides onto the blank until you find the correct one.And with regards to using this rod "upside down"... stick with it if you like it. Unless you're moving bags of potting mix around the backyard with the rod, it is extremely unlikely you'll do it any harm. The only ill effect of using a rod "upside down" is that you'll be fishing against the backbone of the blank and it MIGHT have a small tendancy to twist in your hand while under significant load. But really, without detracting too much from the rod you're using, it's highly likely that the rod might have never been properly backboned before it was built.Anyway, good luck with the repairs. I've sent you a PM with one more suggestion that might help you out.Cheers.