just got back from 2 weeks on bali. did a charter out to nusa penida which is a small island east of bali.had the boat to myself for $500, 6 hrs, took an hour to get over there, then trolled big x raps to the tip of the island, looked very fishy with 2 current lines convering around some rocky outcrops in deep water, targeting dog tooth tuna but no luck. sharing the space with local spear fisherman (crazy dudes spearfishing off of boats in and out of this ripping current in 40m of water) and two locals long lining with a KITE off of the cliffs.the skipper said it was too busy so we went back to another small group of rocky outcrops , trolled through the wash of 1 of the islands and had a double hookup on GT's, bout 5kg each, but caught on elephant gear (penn inter 80, tiagra 50 and an old school 114h (thats a 6/0 to the uninitiated), all running 80lb mono), so not much fun, harder to handle the gear than the fish. the balinese skipper and deckie were very excited, telling me 'you VERRRY LUCKY boy'.went jigging after that using 400g jigs in 80m of water, they only had left handed reels that couldnt be swapped over, so i was in for a pain session. it was the first time ive jigged like that and found it very hard. i was onto my 8th retrieve using the 'flat stick wind' method as jigging was killin me when everything stopped and 5 metres of line got ripped off the reel. yeah!landed a 5-6kg amberjack which the balinese crew went ape shit over.the swell and heat got to me after that so i pulled the pin about 5 hrs in.i was abit dissapointed cause i reckopn there are mega fish out there and if i was given free reign with tackle etc id do some damage out there. there were small tuna breaking up every where and i reckon 1 of those rigged live and slow trolled down deep would catch doggies. i was also wishing i had brought my bag of snapper sp's and flicking them on light heads in all the washes i saw.....the possibilities are endless. im pretty sure these guys are not real fishos, its waiting to be cracked right open.

Ummm, yeah it's a fair bet that that was not the most reputable charter going around. Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like they "Saw you coming". 5oo bucks in Bali is a small fortune- next time start your bidding around 20 bucks, and certainly no more than 100 for that type of operation. Guess it's easy in hindsight, we've all been ripped off. At least you got into a couple.

hi bent, yeah it sounds abit expensive too, but the charter operators are a friend of a friend, an ozzy bloke from melbourne, i think my rate was right as it was a nice boat with 400 horses of brand new yammy 4 strokes on the back. $500 was the boat rate for up to 4 people so thats $125 each but i didnt want to share with anyone. nick

shark over that way are quite small. Was telling a afew of the boys over there how big we got them and they nearly sh*t them selves !Very fond memories of the place. First trip there was with 3 surf boards and a back pack full of boardies for a month by my self. Met up with same top local surfers that took me all over the island for next to nothing. Used to buy half a dozen tuna around 50cm each for stuff all and cook them up on the beach on coals with sambal sauce and rice. Mix that with some local arak and you had a great night!