daiwa monstermesh o/h heavy any good

Guest addict

Guest addict

just wondering if anybody nows much about the daiwa monstermesh series of rods.How do you rate em and herd any probs.looking for a rod to match a saltiga 30t running 15kg braid.the outfit wont be used for jigging but for port mullies and pt augusta kings.Just wanting a light set up with a sensetive powerfull rod .Any advice would be much appreciatted

Guest addict

att finatic your thoughts would be good your in the jigging scene.I have herd a few rumors of em snapping from guys running 60 to 80lb braid and locking up on big sammsons.i wont be fishing it that hard ,just for live baiting,do you think the rod will be good for that sort of fishing

Addict, fine rods they are, yes I'm aware of some breakages too, that said, 1 that I witnessed blow up fished it's brains out for 2 days, on the 3rd day it popped, made me wonder if it had been stepped on or nicked in transit the day b4. Alternatives, Live Fibre Texalium or Saltist, both very hardy & sensitive, Saltist about the same cost, Texys about $100 more.The nature of graphite or blended rods is such that a faulty rod WILL break first use, no question, rods that have been owned & used for a while that suddenly break is generally no fault of manufacture or blank, my advice, bend it hard instore prior to leaving, it will put your mind to rest re hardiness & if it blows up, well thats the store problem. Finatic

Guest addict

just bought a jigwrex pe3 which means 15kg for those who dont no.Got to get use to the look ,bloody skinny rod.She looks light but looks like it could hurt big kings I HOPE.Anyway running 15kg braid on it Finatic herd there really good better than monstermesh and t/curve.DONT TELL ME YOU HAVE SEEN A FEW SNAP PLEASE,just joking tell me your thoughts

Gday mate, Very good choice of rod you have there, although i dont think you could go wrond with any of them really.i have used a 10ft monster mesh a friend of mine has and that is one mother of a rod ( saltiga DF,80lb braid + 30kg GT ) A question i have for you is:Is there a reason why you have chosen that particular gear for the Pt River? Or is that so you can double up and use it at Pt Augusta? Its just personal preferance, but i use an outfit somewhat lighter than the one you have chosen in the Pt River for live baiting..Cheers

Guest addict

howdy running man.the rod is generally for kings in pt augusta,but i wanted a rod with a good bend for using braid but thats my excuse anyway .Its more or less a new toy something different from the gear ive always used.In the port i would normaly use a calcutta 700 10kg line on a sabre 8kg stick .Im generally not a light line fisho when it comes to big mulloway not really keen on talking about the fish i lost,especially when you can do 15 or more alnighters for a reel to maybe turn .Welcome to the site anyway bud cya

Yep for kings i would say you have made an excellent choice, i use the new toy thing alot 2! A calcutta 700 is pretty much what i was thinking aswell for the Pt, i dont much like going too light in there either as the disappointment of losing a big mulloway would (and has) brought me to tears! ha ha Ive hooked a couple on 8lb braid, and trust me, i wish i had something heavier.. Im also thinking of getting a new outfit for livebaiting in the Pt, but totally landbased so id prefer a spinning reel..im starting to think my 13ft daiwa sensor surf rod and Saltist 4500 should be kept for the beach only???Thanks for the welcome, appreciate it.Cheers

Guest addict

howdy runningman :icon_e_smile:Nothing wrong with using your surf rod in the port,sounds like it will do the trick.Have ya pulled any good fish out of the port or any good kings.I spend all my fishing time chasing reds,mulloway and kings.Ive done mega amounts of landbased mulloway fishing in the port and caught heaps aswell.Id still go landbased for sure only if there was somewhere to fish ,but now i only fish it by boat.How do you go landbased in the river considering your options would love to no. catch ya ;D

Ok mate, im usually a bit shady on details, but i joined the forum to learn and help others, so here goes...Pt River, 22.5 kg mulloway on a live shitty,pinned through the head on a 3/0 black magic KS hook, 40lb black magic supple trace, 50lb braid.. That is the only 'landed' pt river mulloway,released to fight another day, ive had alot of takes, bust offs, huge runs, pulled hooks, everything.. Ive hooked 10+ on 8lb braid and 100mm plastics with 10lb trace, but not landed 1 yet. (one fight over 2 hours) :icon_eek:I could write a novel, thats just a short summary. ive seen schools of 10+ up to an estimated 20kg follow lures and "play" with my live salmon..Reds, ive got a few off wallaroo jetty, december being the best time, upto 5kgs,lost a potential 10kg around the pylons. But i dont spend much time chasing anything other than mulloway, sharks, rays and bait. Ive hooked and lost a couple large kingies at wallaroo aswell :icon_cry:Ive been to Exmouth Wa, Carnarvon and caught GT's, cobia, queenfish, mangrove jacks etc, but id much rather a locally caught mulloway..Ive decided to go lighter and spend more time live baiting in the port river, will still use 30lb braid, but longer and lighter leader, and keep throwing the shads and prawns around..Daiwa saltiga surf braid is some of the best stuff going around, cant go wrong..

G"day Running man 8)You sound a lot like me,I am Landbased and livebait the Port, although not as much as I used to.Have won some and lost some.For my LB livebaitng setup I run a Sabre 540 with a Shimano Spheros 14000FA. Eggy matched to 10 kilo and run a leader of 20kg.This outfit fishes really well , casts great and has plenty of grunt.I agree with you and addict, I"d rather have my pic holding up a bigone rather than telling how it got away.Cheers , may even run into you lads one night, Dont run into many at 1.00am but occasionally meet another crazy enough to be doing the same thing. 8)

Cal, can you tell me about the sabre rods? as in, what rating is the 540? ive never really looked into buying one, but if i find 1 that is suitable for me and livebaiting in the port, then i will definatly consider buying one..Without giving too much away yet, do you stick to the jervis bridge area or say torrens island areas more? I personally have had more success (if you can call several bustoffs success) :icon_eek: up around the jervis bridge end..If you see me out there and im holding something big and silver, its not me :)

G"day running man, the 540 Sabre would be considered 10 to 15 kilo, I use it as my heavy surf stick and also for livebaiting when serious.Calstar and Sabre are pretty much the same rod and you can get a 540 in either.Good casting rod and can put plenty of hurt on a fish quickly with one of these blanks, but not cheap over 300.Cheers 8)

Cal, just to put it straight, your Sabre is one of the old originals, not a Seeker Sabre of which are currently on the market.Your original had a rating of 10-15k, the newer styles are more like 8-12k. The current models available come to Aust blank & are built here, mostly by Rob Wilson (his work is good). As such, when you buy one, the warranty will only cover a blank, so if you should pop one (plenty of that goes on with Seekers) expect a lovely new blank only. The build & all componentry is your problem not the stores. This is why you will not find one out our way.My 2 bobs worth. Finatic

Cheers Kim , yeah I knew there was something going on in regards to Seeker Sabre whatever they are now.I dont know the whole story so I didnt comment and felt I was unqualified to say otherwise.I knew yourself or someone else would of had the good oil 8)The old school E glass like mine are as tough as guts,I heard to keep away from the Graphast ones,as they were carrots.But the yellow older 540s are one tough mother of a rod and I love mine.Cheers 8)