Rig for Whiting

Hi Guys, newish to fishing and new to the forum so please excuse me if this question has been raised before.I am planning on taking my kids to St Kilda in SA and most likely to the Port River or Somewhere so they could try their hands at catching some fish. I have only ever done river fishing and as in my introduction post, I don't really know what I am doing.Advice given was using a running sinker rig to maybe catch some whiting. I have had a look around the web for such rigs and some show a small ball sinker above a swivel then below the swivel the hook line, others show the ball sinker between the hook and the swivel. Are both these methods suitable, are there any diagrams around the place where I could find this sort of thing out?

Yeah I use the rig with two swivels and the ball sinker running in between them with a size 6 long shank baitholder hook. Another important thing I add to my yellowfin whiting rigs is pink tubing. Although I use 'Instinct' brand I'm sure most others are good. I put these near the swivels so that the ball sinker hits the tubing instead of getting stuck on the swivel. You can also add attractor beads too. By adding colour to your rigs, you can draw the fishes' attention to your baits a bit easier when the water is murky.Hope this helps. I'm sure other guys will give you their favourite rigs as well.

For whiting the rigs I use are:Normal paternoster rig with a pyramid sinker or berly sinker with 2 hooks attached to the line on the way up to a swivel that is then attached to the main line.

>               Hook>               \>                \>  Sinker -- / -- \ -- swivel>           />          />          Hook
Sand Whiting rig which I think would be your preferred option. You have a hook at the bottom, a split shot to stop the sinker sliding all the way to the hook, a round or oval sliding sinker, a second hook attached to the line then a swivel.
>  Hook -- split shot -- sliding sinker -- / -- swivel>                                         />                                        />                                        Hook
Normal running rig. A single hook with a split shot to stop the sinker running to the hook and a running sinker leading up to a swivel.
Hook -- split shot -- sliding sinker -- swivel
Use the smallest split shot needed to stop the sinker. You could also use the red sliding lumo beads or similar.I always have a swivel at the end of my rigs because I keep a clip on the end of my tracer on my rod. That way I can just open the clip and swap rigs quickly without having to do any re-tying. Putting the weight above the swivel would prevent me from using this set-up. The main reason I could see to do it would be to keep the weight away from the hook but I try to do that using the split shot.Good luck with it!
Hi Guys' date=' newish to fishing and new to the forum so please excuse me if this question has been raised before.I am planning on taking my kids to St Kilda in SA and most likely to the Port River or Somewhere so they could try their hands at catching some fish. I have only ever done river fishing and as in my introduction post, I don't really know what I am doing.Advice given was using a running sinker rig to maybe catch some whiting. I have had a look around the web for such rigs and some show a small ball sinker above a swivel then below the swivel the hook line, others show the ball sinker between the hook and the swivel. Are both these methods suitable, are there any diagrams around the place where I could find this sort of thing out?[/quote']G'day Astroman,Check this out as tied by the master of knots and rigs Mr Geoff Wilson.http://www.fishnet.com.au/knotsrigs/knotsrigs.html

caught nine yfw with a simple running rig friday. ball sinker on my braid. swivel. 40-50 cms of mono or fluro and a hook. easy to prepare. no fuss. and gets the job done. sometimes i think it doesnt matter what sort of rig u use if uve got the right bait.

I'd watch running a ball sinker on the braid.... it will destroy it pretty quickly.