yeah, I showed a mate this and he wanted one for shark baiting.. I don't know how well some of them would go against waves but you could definitely get them out a couple hundred metres on a good calm day.. a bit expensive to lose though! :laugh: could be great for burleying up the same spot a few days prior to hunting a monster fish too?! :fishing:

Good site this, hope you don't mind a Vic being here?My mate and I were doing it close to 25 years ago,he's now deceased.We were taking shark lines up to 400 or so yards out and in most surf conditions.We fished the 90 mile beach here in Victoria.We ended up mainly targetting smaller sharks,better eating and easier to handle.Boat was 5ft long with the powerhead of a 4hp outboard in it, would jump waves!bronzieboat11-3-95.jpg

That boat looks perfect size for what you were using it for! Did you build it yourself or did you buy it from somewhere and was it designed for that kind of use? Some of the other boats I've seen on the internet had a hook or latch or something on the back of the boat to tow the line to where you needed it to go and some didn't and I imagine when towing out shark baits, you'd definitely want whatever it is that's holding the line to be able to let it go easily, so did yours have that?

Nah no worries with the pipi/cockle thing,I know what you mean :lol: With the boat it was built by my mate in the picture.There was a pipe inside with a hatch covering it and this was held by a trigger release operated by a servo.The 2 baits and slab of lead (at least 1kg) were pushed into the pipe with the hatch then closed.Once the baits were out where we wanted them it was simply a matter of one of us clamping the spool of the reel with the trace and the other flicking the switch to open the hatch.With the forward motion it just pulled out beautifully.We also had another line that we used to pull the boat back in with.We could've driven it back but we usually cut the motor and just handlined it in.I would go into the surf a bit to release the boat and pick it up before it got dumped and if I hung onto it I'd get dragged along easily.My mate was an excellent fitter & turner/machinist and made many parts up,even a couple of large reels that we used! The method wasn't what you'd call "sport" but it was great fun,a challenge and gave us some good flake,usually gummies but also bronzies and twice we caught white pointers of around 7 ft on consecutive weekends.We also had some hooks straightened.As I said we were after smaller stuff but had previously caught some very big ones on the surf,especially my mate who had been sharking for many years before I met him.Best mate I ever had that's for sure.I miss him a lot.Anyway I'd like to build a boat myself one of these days but with an electric motor.Would be good to use it when my son gets a bit older.Not far to the beach where I am, about a ten minute easy drive and I would've gone tonight but some thunder and lightning came though so maybe tomorrow night.My username was meant to be "bluesy" but I missed the "e" when registering.:laugh: Good fishing folks!Brett