Saltiga 30z vs New Saltist HA levelwind

Hi there ive been deciding on what reel to buy for Deep water bashing for catching species such as snapper, kingfish and sampson fish. The line that i will buy for the reel i get will be 50pd saltiga sensor.The only problem i have with getting the saltiga is that i will strugle to use the level wind espicially when i take it to wedge in october and fish in 60 -80m of water.What would you get...

I've been toying with a similar idea myself, but after checking a few out, this time I'm gonna opt for a "spinning" reel. Tossing up between the Saltiga 4500 and 6500 and matching Saltiga rod! Dat's one beefy lil rod and the drag on the Saltiga has plenty of stopping power. I think it's all gonna come down to line capacity V weight in the end, but really I'm leaning towards the 4500 at this stage.I'm sure many of ya will tell me to disregard spinning reels when it comes to Sampson and Kingies, but I'm pretty confident the Saltiga has the stopping power and the durability to handle the job!

For sure ranger its already been proven many times over i reckon :) just look in all the fishing mags there full of guys with stella's and saltiga's jign up monsters from the deep. seen coupla photos of big bronzies from the beach landed on saltigas too. 30 kg drag on the biggest model arent they?

Guest Thahn

All to true spin or OH you will be very happy. They will both handel the biggest of fish in our waters. One thing to consider is can you really fish 15kg of drag? and fish it through the duration of the fight i know i can only fish 10kg comfortable with out a harness so all you are going to gain on going to the 6000 or exp is the line capasity. If i fish takes a 100m run you will be stuffed any way ;) So Ranger go the 4500 and its a lot lighter to jig all day with too. As far as overheads go i would go for the saltiga just invest in a good set of gloves otherwise your fingers will be toast

I've been Sussing possible combos for a while now as well that I will be using to target similar species, as well as tuna if all goes well and fingers crossed I get to deckie next season for the tuna run. The outfit that I’ve ended up coming to is the new Shimano Saragosa, in the 1800. These have just come out this season and are basically just a Spheros with dartanium drag washers and a Stella handle. They put out 20kgs of drag, and feel AWESOME! Im intending to match it to a 5’6 T-curve that’s rated to 24kg, but feels like it should be rated to 15. The set up will comfortably fish 50lb braid, and the total price will be less than a Saltiga itself!Well, that’s what I’ve got my sights set on anyway guys, but that’s on a student budget. :)

One thing to consider is can you really fish 15kg of drag? and fish it through the duration of the fight i know i can only fish 10kg comfortable with out a harness so all you are going to gain on going to the 6000 or exp is the line capasity.

I believe 10kg is enough for my lil arms. I recon the 4500 is a more versatile unit, and it's also the one recommended to me in the shop!

I use the Saltist 30H overhead. I would prefer the Saltiga, but cant justify the price difference.The 30 is perfect as a bit of an alrounder, u can cast it in the surf if ya want to, but mine is set up for deap sea bottom bouncing, jigging, and trolling for tuna.I have a couple of different rods to put it on, all just off the shelf, but I love them.It all comes down to personal prefferance. I just prefer overheads.Ranger only likes 10kg of drag cause if he needs more, his cape gets tangled in his harness.ps. 10 kg of drag is heaps.