saltwater fly fishing ?

Hi All!! Now I really enjoy my boat and saltwater fishing with the traditional rods and rigs, but recently become interested in fly fishing on saltwater!however I have no idea when it comes to fly fishing rods reels lines flies techniques , put it mildly I aint got a clue!!!! so can I get some advice on everything perhaps starting with gear line and flies for starters, infact anything will do before I start to invest the $$$$$'s ;) Thanx Fishnut

could you be more specific as to species you likely to target as fly fishing is as wide & varied as any other fishing method.as an example my faviote species i like to catch on the fly is the humble old bream & when i target these in the onka i genaraly use a 6 weight fly rod matching reel with at least a 100metre of backing behind a 6 wff (weight forward floating) flyline with a 9' flouro tapered leader with one of my custom made flys tied on the end.when i get the chance to chase salmon or snook from my boat out on the briny depending on conditions i will fish with an 8 or 9 weight with heavier leader & larger flies (have been known to to drop down to a 4 weight if there is no wind)takes about 20minutes to land a good salmon on the 4wt.I did try to PM you but there is an error coming up at the moment, so will try again later.

Thanx Projoe, Sorry to sound ignorant but honestly I really am, with regards to fly fishing and most of what you said I didn't understand ie, wt line etc I guess I am looking for salmon or any other species that would take a fly from a boat out on the brine :boat: I have no idea about fly fishing but looking to expand my fishing repertoire and hence try new techniques, I figured that the more skills I have the more opportunities I get for catching these elusive fish!!!! no harm in in trying and frankly it looks a bit of an "art" !!!! :cheer: Thanx Fishnut

most fish will take a fly, i have up to this point caught 23 species on the fly includng gar, tommies, mullet, snook, rock cod, 100's of bream, school mulloway, heaps of salmon so on & so on. i recommend you start out with a brand name starters kit something like a jarvis walker blackridge 6weight combo retail around $130 mark see if you like it or not.another alternative is to get tuition. I do teach fly casting & have in the past done a bit of guiding so if you wish to go down that path let me know.to answer your weight question this is the how much the line weighs in grains (not grams) so as a general rule you need a fly rod of the same weight to cast the line succesfully.