Slow moving tide query

G'day lads,Thinking about taking my eldest lad for an overnighter at the rip near Whyalla this Friday. Wind and weather all look favourable (so far) however the tide isnt great. There is only 1 incoming tide for that 24 hours in Whyalla resulting in very slow movement. One bonus will be we can get a decent burley trail and get our rigs down somewhere near our boat (unlike when the tide is ripping and our bait ends up somewhere near Port Augusta)I guess I am asking for advice or experience fishing for snapper on a slow tide. Am I wasting my time?Cheers

Never say never is my "advice " :) Keeping in mind that different locations 'work" differently its hard to give a definitive reply !rthe lowlyu rip is a known Snapper haunt and suppsedly the fish may still feed there during a slow tide. It may also be that the rarea's like Cape jwervis that's normally got fast currents, and is easier to fish ona dodge.Ive caught decent Reds on close to dodge tides off Adelaide, so maybe the same can be done over there too.Maybe try asking locals like Rocknev or Scaley Tom ?

Well ended up taking my lad out overnight in Whyalla. Was a bit blowy with seas around 1.5m so we sheltered in a bit closer to the light house than we would of liked. Put the rods out and had a cook up of snags, sauce and bread. Apart from 4 annoying Port Jacksons we didnt have any luck and finally got some sleep.However at 5.30am we woke to find the seas had settled a bit so we ventured out to our spot and at 6.20am my son landed his first big red. Ended up a touch over 8 kilo and gave him a great fight. Think I have recruited a future fishing enthusiast. Got to see sunrise over the Flinders Ranges and see that look of excitement that can be described on your kids face when the reel is peeling off. Cheers

Wow that is really great news. Glad to hear your son got his first Spencer Gulf Beast.Just remember that once addicted, it will be expensive and will involve never ending pestering to go chasing those BIG REDS.For me, Im at my most happiest when Im in a boat sitting in upper Spencers gulf either early morning or late in the arvo waiting for the peace and quiet to be broken by a RAMPAGING Red.ah, does life get any better. :clap::clap::clap: :clap:To answer your question though, I havent had nearly as much success on days with slow or minimal tide movement as what ive had on days with good big tides.But as youve found out, there is always a chance of picking up the odd fish.Brett