Mulloway on Fly

Just wondering if anyone has had success with mulloway on the fly in adelaide? I have a small boat with an electric motor and intend targeting west lakes, the port river and the patwalonga. Which would be my best option? Have just moved here from north queensland so looking for a fly fishing buddy and any advice would be much appreciated.

Hey Couta, and welcome to the site :)Mulloway are fairly elusive around here, so I would suggest your attack would be two pronged;*firstly, locating the fish. And this isn't going to be easy. I'd suggest 80% of the battle will be finding yourself productive mully spots. I suppose you are on your way there, however the port would be the only realistic small boat option ;) Next time you are in a local tackle store, ASK em nicely where they would suggest... You might be surprised at how quickly some will whip out a map! Or at least point you in the right direction.I don't know if you baitfish, but with a live bait or say a 5" softplastic, you could investigate a few drops/ spots on different tides at different times of the day. Wouldn't hurt to have a livey out AND cast a fly. :)Soon enough you will either hook up or get a real feeling of confidence in a spot or three ;)*Then secondly I reckon with the confidence you can then get serious about casting you're chosen flies until you cannot help but hook your nice meter plus jewie :clap:I would recommend the mangrove lined areas and creek from st Kilda, barker inlet, garden island right through the north arm ;)Pretty sure Fishnuts (site member) uses a squid and or prawn imitation of his own design and seems ti be able to catch the silver ghosts at will B) Me I like bait, dead or alive and get as adventurous as a squidgy slick rig ;)Good luck mate and with winter coming, plenty of small salmon will be about to fall victim to yer rollcast :cheer:

G'day Couta,As Jack and Brenton said I fish for mullies with flies exclusively. I don't bait fish while flyfishing as I prefer to keep on the move while trying to hunt them down and as you would probably know the lines on bait rods only get in the way. This is not to say I haven't used bait to try and catch them but the funny thing is I could never catch them on bait :huh: but since I've been flyfishing for them my results are quite consistent :cheer: The best fish I've pulled with my Prawn flies was nearly a meter long but I'm yet to beat that.Saltwater Flyfishing down here in Adelaide seems to be for the eccentrics like me and a couple of mates I know and fish with but I find it a very efficient way of replicating the bait Mullies prefer to eat so it works for me.As the blokes said, you can't use your boat in Westlakes but the Port is an adventure playground.Do a search on here for some of my posts and you should be able to see what I use.Good luck.Cheers Darren

Just wondering if anyone has had success with mulloway on the fly in adelaide? I have a small boat with an electric motor and intend targeting west lakes' date=' the port river and the patwalonga. Which would be my best option? Have just moved here from north queensland so looking for a fly fishing buddy and any advice would be much appreciated.[/quote']Oh man id hop back on the plane and back to north qld.