More initiatives for NSW fishers

Reeling in recreational fishing trust funds15 Feb, 2012 03:32 PMORGANISATIONS and anglers with ideas for projects to help improve recreational fishing are now invited to apply for funding from the NSW Recreational Fishing Trust. Minister for Primary Industries, Katrina Hodgkinson, announced last week that funds raised in the past year through recreational fishing licence fees is now available to assist recreational fishing groups, community organisations, councils and individuals to improve fishing in their local areas. “Fishing is an immensely popular recreational activity, with around one million people dropping a line in NSW every year,” Ms Hodgkinson said. “Money generated from the sale of NSW recreational fishing licenses is placed into separate saltwater and freshwater fishing trusts, which spend all their funds on improving recreational fishing for the State’s avid angling community. “This is a fantastic opportunity to get much-needed fishing projects off the ground for the benefit recreational fishers in NSW.” Funding from NSW Recreational Fishing Trusts is open to individuals, groups and organisations, including fishing clubs, local councils and universities. Joint applications are also encouraged. Ms Hodgkinson said the allocation of trust funds is recommended by committees of expert fishers as part of a five year strategy that will focus on both short and long term projects. “The NSW Government is committed to giving our State’s anglers new opportunities to reel in a winner. “In the 2012/13 round of Recreational Fishing Trust funding, the NSW Government is allocating about $14 million to a wide variety of programs including fish stocking, artificial reefs, fish aggregating devices, fishing facilities, Fishcare volunteers, fishing clinics and essential research to improve recreational fishing,” Ms Hodgkinson said. Applications for funding close on Friday, March 22, 2012. Funding applications must benefit recreational fishing. Contributing funding and in-kind support, such as voluntary labour, is encouraged. For more information or assistance with applications contact NSW Department of Primary Industries on (02) 6648 3917, email recreational. fishingtrust@dpi.nsw.g ov.au or visit www.fisheries.nsw.go v.au.

http://www.townandcountrymagazine.com.au/news/local/news/general/reeling-in-recreational-fishing-trust-funds/2456872.aspxTB

seems NSW government has it's recreational past times held in high regard compared to our state government, seems they are improving things for recreational benefit rather than our state governments mentality of financial benefit.... 'NSW Recreational fishing trust" hmmm, does any thing similar exist in south Aust?

seems NSW government has it's recreational past times held in high regard compared to our state government' date=' seems they are improving things for recreational benefit rather than our state governments mentality of financial benefit.... 'NSW Recreational fishing trust" hmmm, does any thing similar exist in south Aust?[/quote']Nup...SARFAC gets 70k a year and has to try and answer a barrage of questions from government across a plethora of issues with one bloke who works half a week as the executive officer.No room in that to update a website let alone advocate properly or create any habitat regeneration initiatives etc.Too many heavy weights within other stakeholder groups who don't want reccies to have funding or a say politically and will use every trick in the book to keep it that way.In Victoria when issues arise they all get off their collective backsides and fight.I will dig my heals in and fight as long as my job keeps me here in SA. If it weren't for that I would be living interstate where recreational anglers work the system and are respected by governments for it!TB
[sARFAC gets 70k a year and has to try and answer a barrage of questions from government across a plethora of issues with one bloke who works half a week as the executive officer.No room in that to update a website let alone advocate properly or create any habitat regeneration initiatives etc.Too many heavy weights within other stakeholder groups who don't want reccies to have funding or a say politically and will use every trick in the book to keep it that way.In Victoria when issues arise they all get off their collective backsides and fight.
So true TB :whistle: :pinch: I will dig my heals in and fight as long as my job keeps me here in SA. If it weren't for that I would be living interstate where recreational anglers work the system and are respected by governments for it!TB B):clap: