which rod to get to match this reel?

Hi All, Being a bit of a novice still( all things fishing), can anyone recommend a rod to match a Daiwa Saltist reel I am thinking of getting. I do the majority of my fishing from the boat and are looking to get a good quality set up and target some decent fighting fish! I guess the budget for the rod is around the $200 - $300 mark so not too sure what I would get for that sort of money and the choice is mind boggling :ohmy: Thanx Fishnut

HI, The reel is the saltist overhead lever drag and probably the largest size (whichever that one is I forget the exact details) and looking at snapper as my target (but would like to consider any larger fish really) I am thinking to be able to bait fish & or soft plastics , so thanx for any help! :laugh: Fishnut

Those saltist lever drags are nice looking reels, been thinking about getting one myself, but at this point I don't really have a need for one.It would make a good bait reel for snapper, livebaiting for mullies or kingies(although a big one could certainly spool you), or even trolling for tuna. Probably not the best reel for soft plastics though, working lures with reels that don't have a levelwind can be a real pain in the ass.As far as rods, personally for the sort of fishing I mentioned above it's hard to go past an ugly stik or silstar crystal power tip, good solid rods that can take a beating and work perfectly well for bait and trolling. Something in the 6'6" to 7' range rated around 15kg would match that reel well. Daiwa also make a matching rod, which I've got no experience with, but they make a good rod.

No worries mate, happy to help. Daiwa makes a levelwind version of the Saltist overheads, it's a star drag not lever, but you don't really need a leverdrag for the type of fishing you're talking about. The Penn International baitcasters are nice as well, but don't come as large as the Saltist. The Shimano Charter Special could fit your needs as well. Probably given you too much to think about now. :laugh: