Poppers for Salmon

I have been fishing off the rocks at Pt Noar for Salmon now and then over the past 2 seasons, and go to Lincoln/Coffins (aka Almonta) a bit, and was wondering what surface poppers are like for them.I have been told by a guy on Almonta that he loves using them and catches them when they are close to sure, and I also had good fun on poppers for 30cm ones out the yak on 4lb line, but have also been told by a mate that he has heard on different shows that they get spooked by them. What is your stance on it all? Also, if they do work, what sorts and colours are good for them? :huh: Cheers

I find when active they go well.But when scouting are unuseful for their weight and inability to fish different depths.When they go though, I like the:1. Yo Zuri Eba Popper.2. Gladiator Spray Popper3 And newly the DUO Poco Poco Popper.Cheers TT

I have been fishing off the rocks at Pt Noar for Salmon now and then over the past 2 seasons' date=' and go to Lincoln/Coffins (aka Almonta) a bit, and was wondering what surface poppers are like for them.I have been told by a guy on Almonta that he loves using them and catches them when they are close to sure, and I also had good fun on poppers for 30cm ones out the yak on 4lb line, but have also been told by a mate that he has heard on different shows that they get spooked by them. What is your stance on it all? Also, if they do work, what sorts and colours are good for them? :huh: Cheers[/quote']surface poppers or surf poppers :) Sambo

Surface poppers would definitly work if conditions enable it. If on the chow they wont give a hoot and slam 'em.Have dreamt of catching surf salmon on surface poppers the issue has always been suitable conditions to ensure casting distance and ability to see surface strikes for the added rush. Caught plenty of salmon on metal casting lures & surf poppers on a patternoster. Have similarly tried SPs on a patternoster but found the sand crabs love them, even unscented ones.Have been using surface poppers in the warmer months under the guise of catching YFW and never caught 1 yet...tho ST smash whiting poppers!Before the YFW come in, at the end of a run-out tide you can wade right off the sand flats and onto the edge of the channels where the ST cruise up and down. 1/2kg salmon on whiting poppers & 6lb line.....exciting way of fishing,surface strikes & the wake of big fish! Alas a more 'finess' fishing in ideal conditions.