4120 rod .what range of use

Guest horses4courses

I've had a few 4120 rods over the years,but all for overhead usage..........ABU 7000 fits them a treat.........fished with 14 to 20lb line,a great salmon combo off the beaches............the action allows for good casting of pillie type / sized baits and will throw a 2oz lure a good distance into a gutter as well B) A mate used a 4120 with a Baitrunner 6500 spooled with 20lb mono years ago,that was a good combo.......but I'm sure there's lots of better reels around these days that do a much better job.Hope that helps a bit

Guest horses4courses

I can only speak from an "overhead" point of view,but a 3oz sinker and a gang hooked pillie was a good weight to cast without being detrimental to the rods action........caught plenty of sambos for me over the years ;)

Mate,I've have 2 x 4120 at the moment. I use them with Abu 7000 and 9000 series reels. I also use a Shimano 8000 baitrunner on one as I don't like the action of my spinning surf rod. You don't get as good casts due to the smaller eyelets and the way the line runs off of the spinning reel as opposed to the overhead. But it is okay.I can throw a largish bait (strip of salmon/small tommy etc) with a 6 oz sinker ok. I have since got a 5120 that I now use exclusively for this though and use the ABU 9000 on this, much better for the heavier side of things.BTW 4120 means 4 wraps of glass and 120 inches long. Useless factoid.

Guest horses4courses

you're right......the 5120 is a great rod coupled with a big ABU..........I use a 10,000 BG and 50lb Fins Braid.......stopped some good mullies and sharks of the beaches on Yorkes and the FWC B)