Government Press Releases regarding the Super Trawler

Attached are two press releases from Minister Burke and Minister Ludwig regarding the Super Trawler. Minister Tony Burke, has announced plans to legislate to extend his legal powers over the super trawler FV Abel Tasman, (formerly FV Margiris), to prevent the vessel fishing in Australian waters.

SenatorTheHonJoeLudwig-MediaRelease.PDF

TheHonTonyBurkeMP-MediaRelease.doc

I think Seafood Tasmania's plans to buy out local commercial licences to enable them to increase their quota would only monopolise the market.We all know that the big corporations have too much influence in food extraction and production in this country as it is already.Environmental concerns aside, do we want another multi-national company paying our pollies election campaign funds at our local democratic expense?TB

Personally I wonder what the Magiris' plans are for the next two years !Is there actually anywhere worth its while to go to left ?Unless maybe it decreases its mesh size and goes to rape Krill from the Southern Ocan, despite the fact that it is a crucial food source at the very heart and base of many marine ecologies, and apparently already in trouble as it is.Maybe I should delete that last comment in case I give them ideas.Still, FANTASTIC to see that public opposition has been heard this time.Will it happen re TBs comments below though ?

Environmental concerns aside' date=' do we want another multi-national company paying our pollies election campaign funds at our local democratic expense?TB[/quote']Put another way TB, do we have much of a choice apart from voting the govts involved in letting these things happen in the first place out in next election ? There doesn't seem to be a helluva lot keeping them honest :whistle: