Moving to SA

Hello guys and gals, I'm new to the forum, so this'll be my first post, let alone topic. I'm moving to South Australia next september, and i plan on doing whole lot of fishing, for the first 4-5 months i'll be doing nothing of any significance, before i embark on a course at the Tafe in Policing. I'll be living in the Henley Beach area, but i will have a car, and possibly a boat. So, i would like some advice on the best places to fish, primarily land based, Sea fishing, you know, rocks, jetties, beaches and the like. Preferably within a 2 hour drive, but that's more than negotiable. Also, if there's an offshore mark i just can't miss, it would be much appreciated. All tips will be much appreciated. Meady

Gday Meady, welcome to the site.You will have plenty of options within 2 hours of Henley. Any of the jetties, beaches etc, will all get you results.Have a browse through the pages in here, you will find heaps of good advice on when and where to fish.As far as boating goes, you can buy books with gps marks in S.A. They are a guide only, but the clusters of boats on weekends will give you a good indication where the artificial reefs are etc. Good luck.

If ya staying at Henly you are in the middle of all sorts of options, there is the beach and jetty for yellowfin whiting and mullet, plus the odd flattie and its like this all the way up the metro coast. If you head to the Pat, torrens outlet, the onk, West Lakes or Port you are in with a good chance of bream and mulloway with salmon trout and mullet also turning up at this time of the year. if you like freshwater then the torrens is tops for big carp and the odd native. If you head south down noarlunga way there are salmon, mullet, tommies and the odd mulloway and snapper to be caught off the beaches and jetty there. All the local breakwaters and reefs hold the usual rockfish(leatheries) but they do produce absolutely everything that there is to be caught in the gulf, go good one would be outer harbour for salmon and snook with the occasional snapper. West Beach (down near Henly) has mainly mullet but you do get bream and mulloway there too. Good Luck as there are many options here.

If you head south there are good fishing for salmon along most beaches, I would be heading to Waits or Parsons near Victor Harbor and there are many rockfishing opportunities along the coast for drummer, squid, snook and leatheries. If you can try to fish Victor as the causeway and the screwpile jetty hold good fish (the causeway has plenty of strongies if ya want a fight) but the screwpile has deep water and literally everything can be caught here, the rock fishing around here aint so good on the island as there are literally millions of rock cod, but its worth setting out a bigger bait for snapper or kingfish (be careful though as the stones are smooth granite and always watch the water for at least 10 minutes when venturing down). The bluff jetty at victor holds monster squid, but beware as its snaggy here. There are 2 rivers in the town and both hold bream and mullet but I would opt for the Hindmarsh over the Inman as Hindmarsh is much cleaner. If you decide to head north try Port Wakefield in the creek for mullet, salmon trout and bream. head to the Yorke Peninsula where the options are too numerous to name here, but a reliable spot is Wallaroo, where its reliable for snapper off the jetty, along with salmon, flathead, mullet, snook, kingfish, mulloway, mullet, KG and yellowfin whiting, squid and of course blue crabs. The beaches on the foot of the peninsula hold salmon, mullet and mulloway. The mulloway bite best in summer and autumn, while the salmon and mullet are around all year (especially autumn and winter). I hope this helps ;)