I have decided to do some shark fishing this summer. having never targeted them i thought i would ask how others go about it. i will be on a boat to target them 90% of the time.is there any sort of area that i shoud target ie water depth, bottom features etc. i live in Whyalla but im sure the principles of shark fishing would apply anywherecheers. :fishing:

Mate, I'd ask your local tackle shop for advice on local areas if you have no luck on here.Im very keen to get a shark or two in my tinny this summer, so am on a similar mission to yourself.I will be fishing metro and use what has served us well in the past... That is a live slimey floated out on a balloon while burleying for snapper etc.I used to use an old 20kg tuna rod, but my mate has just bought a new light game rod for the job. I think the trouble with Shark fishing is that you can't really choose what size shark takes the bait! With.just a live slimey, we have hooked more 3-4 ft bronzies than anything, but one v nice 45kg hammerhead which was v cool.It might be fun, but a couple hundred kilo bronzie might be more than a bit too much for us :ohmy: Probably.no help mate, but keen to hear how you do hey ;)

i have asked at the tackle shop and he reckons that sharks are fairly abundant in summer, hammers and bronzies. i got a shimano terez 40-80lb rod and a stella 10000 spooled with 65lb braid so i reckon i should be able to handle a reasonable sized shark should one come my way. i also got a Fin Nor offshore 9500 spooled with 450m (or yards, i cant remember, plenty either way) of 30lb mono) which i will match to my Tcurve Deep Jig 200 rod.i will have to keep pestering Wes down the tackle shop, hopefully he will prod me in the right direction. was reading an old SA Angler and came across a great article by Jamie Crawford on shark fishing from the boat, cant wait to try out some of the tips in it. all his articles are great.