Circles on floating baits ?

Hi all.I seem to recall some time ago there was a discussion on when , how and where to use circle hooks.My question is, can they be used when drifting/floating a weightless bait out :huh::unsure: I dropped two good fish last night doing this.Both took line before I got to the rod. I cupped the spool both times to stop any chance of an over-run and to be sure the hook was set well as I struckI suspect part of the problem was having the drag too loose drag, rather than having it firmer and letting the fish hammer the bait until they are hooked.Mind you it was only 10lb line so didnt wanty a dead tight drag either.Put another way, has anyone else used circles in the same situation and had success or failure ?Can circle hooks be used on lighter line for larger sized fish like Snapper ?Cheers and thanks in advance :)

Ive used them successfully with unweighted baits, i can see having them under a float being any different.My thoughts on circles are to have the drag set firm that as the fish takes the bait the drag sets the hook for you.The last time i used them my mate had the same setup but his drag was very loose and he had a good run but the fish dropped the bait before he picked his rod up, i hooked mine 30 seconds later and the fish hooked itself before i picked up my rod due to having a tighter drag.

Have used circles on floating bread crusts for carp for a number of years with a bit of success........absolute dynamite for when those soft blubbery lips are just mooching the surface,and they get pinned "effortlessly" by a little number 6 B) Visually stimulating ;) I don't reckon you're talking carp though are you afishyfish..........snapper?

As long as you can pull line off the spool by hand and not break the braid the you should be fine. Me an Boyo have hooked some nice ruggers on floating circles before and these reds although small were hitting the baits at a million miles an hour.. My thoughts are the longer u give a red to feel your hooks in its mouth the more chance you have of it dropping the bait so I never use free spool ever and very rarely ever drop a fish. Ie good solid strike drag set when either on bottom rig or on your floater and use an upright or 45 degree rod holder in the boat so your rod doesnt launch out and into the ocean. :ohmy:Sounds like u did the right thing by stopping the spool and putting a firm lift in an effort to set the hooks instead of striking mega hard which pulls the hooks straight out.I just think u were a bit unlucky.

Thats right LF, Snapps ;)

As long as you can pull line off the spool by hand and not break the braid the you should be fine. .

True urh.It was a new set/up I have of an existing rod that I put to a reel that I hadnt tried as a combo. It was a bit "experimental "

I just think u were a bit unlucky.

Yeah possibly!That or Im looking for an excuse :d/:lol: