Crayfish in Robe, Kingston se, Beach spot vs Portland

Hi guys I am new in here :P I am planning to a camping-diving trip with few of my classmates. I am thinking where will be the best place to dive for the crayfish. in Robe (SA) area or portland (Vic).Is it safe for a unexperienced diver to do snorkelling? (or snorkelling cannot catch those?)Also, I cannot find any tour to do diving catching seafood. All tour are in Queensland :P:unsure: I also heard that shark are around every where. How can we be more safer? :clap: PS: We are international student from Hong Kong willing to enjoy Aussie life in here :laugh: Cheers~~~

If you are inexperienced I strongly suggest that you do not attempt any such Snorkelling/diving/free diving unless you are under the proper supervisionof and very experienced person. Conditions on these parts of the coastline can change very quickly and you can get caughtout at a moments notice. Especially if you are unaware of the warning signs. A meal of fresh seafood is not worth yours or a friends life!!! :sh Sorry to burst your bubble but to many people experienced people get caught out. Let alone inexperienced ones that are new to the country and coastline. Stay safe, Cheers AJ

thanks for your tips~~~ AJ ;) So, are there any chance if we just look around under the ocean near the beach?because we just want to look around how beautiful it is :P you know Hong Kong ocean all polluted by China recent year :angry: Also, do you know anyone is willing to do snorkelling tour in Robe around? :cheer: Thank you AJ again you are so helpful :clap::clap::clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nickhk.Firstly I agree with the advice already given. If you are inexperienced in snorkelling diving around Robe, Portland and other similar ocean areas will be very dangerous. It's not worth you risking your life!! You may be able to start by snorkelling in good conditions around Adelaide (if you are based there). I've quite enjoyed diving for blueswimmer crabs in shallow water in the protected Gulf waters. You can get familiar with water and get a good feed and do so in water that you can still stand up in. Pick a relatively calm day with little wind. Water is also relatively warm and a 2-3mm wetsuit is fine. 2nd option here is you can also go floundering at night with much the same gear. Some great places within a couple hours of Adelaide. Just remember some dangers include sharks, and blue ring octopus, razor fish etc. This is a safer way of exploring the great outdoors.I have dived in Robe, Port MacDonald and Portland. I have been diving for more than twenty years and have caught hundreds of crayfish but not from these areas. Most people who start diving for crayfish struggle to find them let alone catch them. The only place on entire Portland to Robe coast that may be have suitable is a spot about 1-2kms west of Port MacDonald. Basically a couple of large rock pools that over summertime get quite crowded by local divers and kids snorkelling. Even then it's still a spot to be utilised in a low swell day. Chances of getting crayfish out of these pools/area is close to zero. Definitely not worth the effort/cost/reward of getting there.Robe is more suited to scuba diving for crayfish. Don't rate it that highly unless you have a boat.Portland has a couple places suitable for crayfish but I consider that these are dangerous even for me. I look at diving these spots once a year if lucky.Other option it to book a fishing charter somewhere -they may allow you to throw in some hoop nets for crayfish perhaps????Being an international student is also a high risk for having a drowning/accidental death in water.Doesn't sound good!!!Better to be safe than dead.