General advice

Hi all,I've recently remembered how much of a blast fishing is, and am looking to get started in the Adelaide area.I grew up in the South East, and mostly fished in the lower Glenelg river for Bream and (not very successfully) Mulloway.I now live in Adelaide, and all I have to my name is a JW Redbone Combo, which I purchased for a weekend camping trip on the Murray. I had a blast catching carp, but the rod and reel didn't give me much joy. It did make me want to give fishing another crack, though, so I'd like some help to properly get started. I like fishing for the sport, the food bit is more of a bonus. I'd prefer not to be just catching carp, though.I'm not all that keen on beach/jetty fishing. Having said that, I don't know too much about Freshwater fishing, and the Murray's quite a drive. Any recommendations for parts of the river that aren't too far out of the way and worth fishing? Or should I just man up and head to the sea? Port River?The other area I'm looking for help is in purchasing a rod/reel with more to offer than the Redbone :P . Having said that, I'm fairly casual about it, and don't want to invest a heap of money. Ideally, no more than $100-150 for both.I've really only ever bait fished, if that helps, and I don't have access to a boat. I guess the Murray is my primary area of interest, so would like to catch Callop/Murray Cod. Happy to be pointed in an entirely different direction, though!Hope my questions aren't too vague, any assistance is much appreciated.Thanks!

Hey mate and welcome :)Good time of year to get back into fishing. Since im not sure if you're north or south, I won't tell you to go down the Port lol, but I love it down there, especially any rocky areas for the Bream :)I don't do much freshwater fishing so can't help to much other than suggest you look under freshwater on here and especially THE MIGHTY MURRAY section. The amount of good fish caught by members on here will blow you away .Also would suggest checking out the SAFWAA club, I am not a member, but have mates who are and your very best way to hook a cod or huge reddy or Callop is to fish their private water. Membership is cheap as chips and plenty club guys to help with tips.For the rod and reel, I would just use what you have until you settle into your fishing and decide what you need :)Tight lines mate, and enjoy the site