Torrens River 9th oct

Thursday 9th OctoberMy torrens report.I decided to have a look at different spot on the torrens. An area that I never fished when I was a lad .When I got out of the car I was a tad disappointed, but could see the river looked better further on .First spot I tried I was met with good natured taunts, but even I had to see that the water was way to shallow .So bidding the ducks goodbye I crossed the river .Walking through gumtrees to the sound of Cockatoos,Magpies and Brolga like birds and flocks of pigeons following my bag of bread .I headed onwards .I almost attempted to stand on a weir I came across. And If I had worn waders I may well have wasted some time .No way would i ever do something as silly as that ::).Anyway I walked along the bank and found a break with some reeds to the right a large snag in the water on the left on the other side .And a very quiet large pool after the weir and before that rapids .I thought why not have a flick.So two pieces of bread went in then another and another and finally I managed to get the ducks to knick off.And nothing I was waiting and watching the bread nothing nothing nothing !!!That's it I thought bugger all again . :(When all of a sudden out of the reeds wham bam splash into the bread one and then a second Carp .Size wise lets just say I was beaming with pride etc when I landed a 28cm bream on a fly.But these things must have been around 50cms and fat .Made all the Bream and Salmon trout I have caught look like aquarium fish.I could get the buggers out part way but to entice them out so I could cast perfectly was never going to happen .I was getting tangled in reeds I tried the perfect cast when one was surface feeding(will call it that more like a death roll on a piece of bread)and bang I was tangled around the rod .Kept it up for most of my 1 1/2 hour trip but in the end those old girls stopped feeding .But with new found info(or relearned knowledge from my youth) I will try and find a bank that has reeds on the other side and burley up and wait.So I headed back towards my car and wandered onto more reeds .And I decided the water was to shallow after a few casts and another piece of bread floated towards the ocean.So once again nothing but 1 step closer and the Carp bug has bitten deeper into my fishing ego .Cheers

So what a disaster yesterday was.The fish well there were six very huge Carp and some smaller(well they were still large) ones .That I spent nearly two hours virtually feeding them bread .Trying to get them to take a bread fly and then a woolly bugger was very very hard to say the least.I think next time I will try harder to hide from my foes .When I left the largest Carp was looking at me while sucking in a large piece of bread.Then the trip home was very bumpy stopping at the lights etc .Didnt think a lot about it cursed my falcon at every light .got home five to ten minutes later went out side and watched my Radiator fluid making its own river in my drive . :(So 7.30 this morning dropped her off at the radiator shop in the port.First diagnosis the radiator may just be blocked as the fluid is coming out the over flow tank .Fishing is postponed for today . :wink:Cheers

Well what can I say about today .Lets start by warning everyone its snake season and be on the alert for snakes when going through grass etc .Scouted along the Torrens again in an area I have walked many many times before.There were stretches of this section that looked like they would be prefect to hold carp .But no way was I going alone in a snake infested undergrowth(yes I am a coward :wink: ).And of course the main reason was the steepness in some sections of the river bank .There was no way with my knees was I able to get amongst the long reeds that hid my pray.So on I walked passed the many ducks and the mother Swan and almost full grown cygnet .I came across a pool I had stood at with out my gear weeks earlier,and 1 failed attempt with gear .This time with mother and dad water hen going off at me and baby water hens going underwater I stood .Looking at the water in what I thought was a vain attempt to see my pray .I saw a fishy shape swim under a water hen.Was it a carp or a catfish not really sure I kept watching. Water movement at the edges on the other side are they Carp.Well I thought lets get some bread out !! And while throwing out some pieces I saw a very large Carp glide under the water .Something like a silent white pointer .Then I saw more and more .Water was going off with fish at the other edges .Some of these fish were huge .And you know I was getting confused not one fish was coming up to the bread floating on the surface .While standing there watching these fish two things happened one, I realised they were not interested in eating.But more interested in each other and as my wife said when I got home latter it is SPRING.So I swapped from a bread fly to a gold headed nymph to see if they would take a fly under water.I was casting at what could be called 3 fish orgies going on in different spots in this pool .And you would guess it I was catching Grass reeds etc on the other side .As well as rocks and algae stuff in the very shallow water some of these big fish were playing in.This was happening in something like an inch of water at the edge of the pool!!Oh and I forgot the second thing that happened .Nothing was stopping me from casting at these fish I kept casting and casting .While I was casting I was aware that this dead bush by the waters edge kept moving.I kept casting and looking finally 2 lizards came out .I tell you this if a brown thing had slithered out (in my youth I had been chased by them in this area)I would have sprinted up the hill behind me :wink: And just after that while trying to get the attention of a very large and fat Carp I managed to catch a gum tree behind me .I was getting to hot and thought thats it Im off but I will be back .So in summary another fish less day .but there are some very big fish in that old river and if they all breed its going to explode with fish.Cheersuntil next time

• 5 weeks later...

So So 7.30 this morning dropped her off at the radiator shop in the port.First diagnosis the radiator may just be blocked as the fluid is coming out the over flow tank .

Had my EA Falcon for 5 years, finest thing I did was re coring the Rad. Stopped the overheating which is the commonest cause of engine death. The sludge build up is phenomenal on these engines.