Tuna Session

I know there have been a few posts about Tuna sessions lately , but just cant help myself , so here goes.Two boats- departed Marion Bay on Saturday after sleeping overnight.The bay was very calm which helped as I was a bit nervous about the 50 km trip across. As soon as we turned out of the bay the swell started, quite large but well spaced apart, and the Yalta handled it well.Took about 1.5 hrs of motoring before we got into the area where the Tuna supposedly were, the fact that one of the Marion Bay Charter boats was already working the area gave me some hope.My naive question to one of the crew who has fished for Tuna before re: how will I know when we have one on..his reply was "you'll know"" within 15 mins my rod was first to go off..had a hookup but within seconds the line and lure parted ways... :( I had three hookups in the morning for one bust off and two spitting the lure :angry: meanwhile we managed to boat two good fish and the other boat had bagged out. So off to our anchorage.I couldn't be the only one who did not catch one that day so after a bottom fish and the other skipper diving for crays, we took off early evening.Managed to hook up , and what a battle, had a few drag issues on the reel, and played this fish very safe, took me 30 back breaking mins but finally broke the drought.Equipment: All three were fishing with ABU 7000i 40lb braid 150lb leader my rod a Penn 6601 TLBM 8-10KGStay tuned for installment 2

TunaNo12013.jpg

Day Two Tuna session: woke up to very calm morning, little did we know that the wind and swell was to pick up later. After the usual morning jobs....fishing for Whiting or whatever may come along and breakfast , we headed back to our "spot" if you can call trolling across several sq Km,s a spot, looking for birds,the feathered ones as well!! :woohoo: It was like the Americas cup trying to outfox the other boat and find the school first....out of no where came our triple hookup all three fished landed...The other skipper is fairly competitive and you could hear the :c expletives In two hours of fishing both boats had bagged out...time to head home.We had a following swell of a couple of meters but it was the cross chop around Althorpe Island that made things interesting,but being a conservative skipper with two crew to look after we made it back safe. Retrieving the boat at Marion Bay with the tide out and a cross wind made for interesting times but we even managed that. The locals had even bailed out of fishing that day. :ohmy: Confidence levels are a notch or two higher but I would still be hesitant in going that far without another boat as back up. TripleHookup.jpgWill try to load another vidCheers, from a happy fisho......

Looks like you had a great few days fishing there :clap: I went to victor chasing them on friday but they were nowhere to be seen all day :( bird action was very poor to.Most of the others crews didnt see them either that day.Was still a great day out there and a good learning curve out in the open ocean, deffinantly different seas compared to the metro waters, The swirl was only 2mtrs with a choppy seas on top of that, we were doing 45kmh and still couldnt keep up with the swirl and thats on a good day.