Alvey Reel casting setup

Hey guys n gals,Finally set up the alvey 500 with 20lb braid and 40lb fluoro, but i'm having some issues with casting distance, i can get maybe a max of 50M at the local sports ground with no wind and 28g weight.This isn't too bad a distance, i know; but sometimes the uni to uni knot catches on a cast and messes up the cast angle, (sends the trajectory very low) and i get even less distance.Is there a better way to set these reels up for casting? Should i be using a lighter leader, more weight, i'm a bit stuck when it comes to beach casting setups...

hrmmm ok... a 500b? most of us use a 650C or 651C.what rod are you using?? is it an alvey rod or a spin rod? I prefer 8144s wilson/snyder. but i also have 4120s which cast a mile with a lure.. and 7153s. all of my alvey rods are old school snyder/wilson/butterworths fibre glass single pc. 20lb main mono is fine.. i use 25-35 on my 5x 650/651s. leader is fine as well. Why are you using Braid on a Alvey??? your gonna get some sore fingers ;) guiding that stuff on specially when a large fish is ripping it off you at a high speed.. 28 grams.. 1oz.. most of us fish with 3-5oz sinkers.. so a 1oz sinker for 50m is pretty decent.. once again what rod??? obviously casting will differ once you have a big bait attached..

Heya del,Yeah, i'm using the wilson live fibre trophy 10.5ft, very nice rod; but rated only up to about 60 grams or so.the 500BC does well and holds plenty of braid, so is good for what i need and line slap free for the most part. the leader and the weight are my main concerns i guess, so what's the lightest leader i could go with that kind of cast weight (~60gm)?

hmm so about a 120" rod.. is it actually set up as an alvey rod? as the reel seat and the eyes WILL be different than that of a spin set rod. are you casting just for distance? ( competition distance casting) or are you actually looking at fishing distance? Line slap is only the angle/twist of your arm..500BC, clutchless?? antireverse? leaders i use are most often the mono coming off my spool! if im using a basic salmon set up im using 20-25lb mono with a 20-25leader.. if there is rough terrain.. i use a heavier leader.. like if im targetting groper from the rocks.. or even fishing with nev down whyalla i use a 35-40lb for rock resistance. if your casting baits.. id still be fishing a 3-5oz sinker + bait.. 60 gram is 2oz.. i often set my sinker 4oz on 15-20lb line to snap off earlier than my rid when fishing whyalla/rock infested waters.. Rocknev.. come join the party.. Brenton and maybe chuckemback too!

hmm so about a 120" rod.. is it actually set up as an alvey rod? as the reel seat and the eyes WILL be different than that of a spin set rod. are you casting just for distance? ( competition distance casting) or are you actually looking at fishing distance? Line slap is only the angle/twist of your arm..500BC' date=' clutchless?? antireverse? leaders i use are most often the mono coming off my spool! if im using a basic salmon set up im using 20-25lb mono with a 20-25leader.. if there is rough terrain.. i use a heavier leader.. like if im targetting groper from the rocks.. or even fishing with nev down whyalla i use a 35-40lb for rock resistance. if your casting baits.. id still be fishing a 3-5oz sinker + bait.. 60 gram is 2oz.. i often set my sinker 4oz on 15-20lb line to snap off earlier than my rid when fishing whyalla/rock infested waters.. Rocknev.. come join the party.. Brenton and maybe chuckemback too![/quote']Casting for fishing Del, but have been testing it at the local oval to see how it goes and get the setup right.Yeah, the 500BC has a drag and graphite back; spool is bakelite or fibreglass i think.Was thinking of maybe running a 45gm running ball sinker, then a pilly or small tommy as a baiton gang hooks, so maybe a bit over 60gm in total, might switch to 25lb fluoro with the 20lb braid; reckon i can get away with it?

late model 500bc.. i think i have a 650 beach caster model similar.. a gift a couple years ago.so your basically setting up for salmon?? ball sinker and running rigs dont cast as well as a patternoster rig will. but you shouldnt have any dramas cast those weights and rigs on 20-25lb. im still wary of braid at all on an alvey... specially if you get a birds nest!!!

Unfortunately the facts are using an Alvey for bait fishing for Salmon plus braid = absolute 0 ...better off with a good mono on that setup like 15lb Platypus platinum or penn 10x.A 500b Alvey on a live fibre 10/6 is a beautiful setup , casting a 45grm sinker with a pillie should be no probs and perfect for the job. B)If you live out the northern suburbs shimsman, i will be happy to bring a couple of my alvey setups out and we can have a casting session and go through the finer points.I have a trophy 10/6 matched up to a 550 be1 and also a Alvey 600 rod , both superb outfits.Cheers B)

Unfortunately the facts are using an Alvey for bait fishing for Salmon plus braid = absolute 0 ...better off with a good mono on that setup like 15lb Platypus platinum or penn 10x.A 500b Alvey on a live fibre 10/6 is a beautiful setup ' date=' casting a 45grm sinker with a pillie should be no probs and perfect for the job. B)If you live out the northern suburbs shimsman, i will be happy to bring a couple of my alvey setups out and we can have a casting session and go through the finer points.I have a trophy 10/6 matched up to a 550 be1 and also a Alvey 600 rod , both superb outfits.Cheers B)[/quote']Heya Cal,Might actually take you up on that! most of my rigs are paternosters by default and i run about 15 feet of fluoro tied to the braid for added casting strength and low visibility.Salmon are one of my prefs, also may be throwing out livies for flatties and soapies, so just getting a better leader will probs be my next step, 25lb seems to be the go from what you guys all think!The 500BC is a great reel, and i would be reasonably confident with fish up to about 15kg with my setup. The platypus didn't really do it for me, lo stretch works better on the medium light spinning setups IME, will be getting the 45BC soon for kayak fishing so i will have an alvey for every job!Posted Image