Live bait maintenance

Hi crew.I'm currently in the process of planning a house-move and will definitely be going for something with a garden (as I want to get a pooch). What I was wondering is basically:Would it be possible to maintain live bait, e.g. slimeys or shitties for any amount of time? Back in Germany, I used a 200 L barrel (with two 100 L fishtank pumps) to store baitfish in, at least for a few days or a couple of weeks. Essentially, I don't want to have to go out to catch livies, whenever I feel like trying for something with a bit more size.Obviously I wouldn't be chucking 100s of them in there, maybe 20 or so at a time, just to have a reasonable supply for when I find the time to have an extended session. Currently, my fishing is limited to after-dark tours, as I work until between 5 and 6, then drive to wherever and arrive well after sun-down.Thoughts?Cheers,J

Well, I used to keep "Rotaugen" and "Rotfedern" in the barrel - they are more or less like cockroaches - wouldn't be surprised if they survived a nuke.Posted ImageThey make excellent live bait for pike and walleye. I've had it happen a few times that I caught a pike on one (usually let the pike run with the fish for a minute until I set the hook), land it and have a manged, de-scaled something left over on the hook that, against all odds is still alive. I mean, anything bitten by a pike should instantly die, given the pearly whites they carry around...Posted Image

NW, town called Gronau - it's right at the Dutch border. There's some amazing pike places, if you know where to go :whistle: The most amazing part is the fact that pikes are super territorial (at least anything larger than 50 cm). You can catch one, tag it, release it and catch it again in the same area a year later to compare sizes.Now you've got me reminiscing! lol

"D'uuuhhh.... The penny just dropped. I was like "WTF?", hahahaha :silly:"???those little silver fish with red fins are also known as Roach's in English fishing ;) ( i think) lol that pike was 75cm and the only fish we got all day.. spent most the day drinking Schrobeller lol

"D'uuuhhh.... The penny just dropped. I was like "WTF?"' date=' hahahaha :silly:"???those little silver fish with red fins are also known as Roach's in English fishing ;) ( i think) lol that pike was 75cm and the only fish we got all day.. spent most the day drinking Schrobeller lol[/quote']Well, I compared them to cockroaches in my initial post - you said "caught it on a roach" and for the first 5 minutes I actually thought you had caught in on a (creepy crawly variety) roach... Hence my confusion... Aaaaand then the penny dropped (regardless of whether they are actually called roaches or not in English, it all made sense all of a sudden)... Lol - been at work for too long methinks.

Would the temperature extremes be too much in a small body of water for the true Saltwater fish?Freshwater fish can live in tanks wherever they occur but I figure the salties have a bigger area of water to diffuse the heat/cold?Brackish/Estuary fish like bream, Mullet and possibly Trumpeter, St's should go ok. I wouldn't try slimies, I think they rely a little much on stability in temperature.

It should be alright and i pretty sure Aquarium shops have chemical test kits to keep your levels right . Make sure you know the legal lengths of all fish in said container and as long as it is kept in the shade i can't see many water temp problems . I have kept live bait in an old tub before for a few days with just a fish tank aerator keeping them in a cool shaded place . I was surprised as things came up that kept me busy for a couple more nights than intended . Also caught one of those Roach in a local water way witch was a surprise .

Temperature wise I don't see a problem either - during the winter the temperature in the barrel should be regulated by outside conditions, anyway. Can just move it to the garage or shed (provided my new place will have one!) during the warmer months. Otherwise it's going to be taken off-line during summer.Water quality wise there won't be any issues - I have access to all sorts of oceanographical gadgets that let me measure anything from dissolved oxygen, over salinity to fluorescence on the spot.Reckon I'll give that a go, then. Once it works and I've got the setup down pat, I'll write a report ;)