Squid: How Do They Work?

Hey everyone,In light of the squid comp, I think we should celebrate squid as a species; they're amazing creatures and an accessible species for all types of anglers (except freshies!)Some things i have always wondered about them though: despite being colourblind, how is it that some jigs will work and some won't? is it the action of a quality jig that entices those big squid, or maybe the size of the jig and how it's worked by the angler?Apparently squid of all types are very sensitive to polarization of light and mostly use their vision to hunt and communicate, so would the new hi tech UV activated jigs being sold by the Japs be worth your cash; or just a Kmart special 3 pack of no name jigs?Feel free to chime in with what you think, share your fave gear, rigs, knowledge of squid, recipes... anything!Here's my fave imitation jig of all time: yamshita 2.5 redhead; good length of 12lb fluoro leader and worked a little higher above the weed than most people would seems to lure out the bigger, ballsier squid for me; got some real monsters on this little jig!Posted Image

Despite their colour-blindness, they still (as you said) rely heavily on their vision indeed have excellent eye-sight.The only reason we see "colours" is because that's what our eyes translate reflected lights at different wavelengths into. Squid will still be able to distinguish between colours, because differences in wavelengths will result in (at the very least) variations in the contrast of (e.g.) pray. If a red jig consistently works better than a blue one, then I'd put it down to refraction, pure and simple. It is, however, exceedingly hard to draw that comparison without rigging up two jigs on a simultaneous (same leader height) pater noster and -consistently- catching more squid on a paticular jig.If you have a favorite jig and you catch more on it than on others, then I suspect it's because you a) are best at using that particular jag (balance, weight, line leading), B) it's more attractive in black and white (or whatever "colour" combination squid see in) c) there's differences in the way the jig behaves underwater or d) a combination of all of those factors :laugh: I have a like 8 (albeit pretty cheap) different squid jigs and when I decide to go squidding, I'll simply cycle through them until I catch one and keep using that jig. If it stops catching, I'll start cycling again ------ Not that I have too much experience with the old headfooters :blink:

Interesting stuff Rockfish, i know they would see the polarity of different colours, all of which absorb and reflect UV differently; but that said, they'll go for both outrageous purple jigs and natural jigs alike on the same day IME.Maybe it IS down to the action of the lure at least somewhat, but there's still a lot to be said for the ol' tommy on a bait needle tied to a float; goes to show that there's nary a fish in the sea that'll turn down a free meal if it means becoming a scavenger!Anyone had any success on floated jigs? I know a lot of you run jigs on the bottom as a single paternoster but i don't hear much about floats, wouldn't they be better in calmer conditions and when drifting?

another side of that is.. is your favourite jig working more.. due to the fact you use it more ;)i mix it up but am finding white jigs are really doing the damage of late..

Well, I meant that in the "your favorite jig catches most, even when you spend as much time using it as you do using others". :P

I was over at Yorkers 3 weeks ago and caught a heap off a jetty over 2 days , using floats ( which I never use) coz I had the kids and wife with me. They worked beautifully with no action imparted from myself. Conditions were calm so there was no wave action either . I just kept casting up current and let the float work back with the current.Colours wise I found this;Bright day, 1 particular bright pink holographic jig did most of the damage catching 80 % of the 20 or so caught. Second was a yo zuri red head with a dark green yo zuri catching only 1.That night I headed back and found the opposite, dark green jag did most of the damage with red head 2nd and nil on pinkie.Day 2 was overcast but still calm and results reflected my night time sesh.I've heard it before but now seen it in action, bright day, bright lure, dull day , dull lure.

From my understanding, the Japanese are only really able to catch squid, therefore they put alot of energy into refining their lures. I believe their lures swim and act in general more life like, then the ones u get from kmart that don't always swim right.In saying that tho, the best squid jags i've ever used are ones i picked up for 2 bucks, admittedly they look and swim alot better then the kmart ones but i don't think are anything any special. Also i've been told, haven't really tryed though, along the lines of what was posted above, dark colours on darker/overcast days work better because of the silhouette they cast in the water.