A new dimension in "light gear" fishing

Gentlemen I introduce you to the pen fishing rods.penrod.jpga telescopic rod that folds up into a pen shaped "container" the same size as a pen when folded and extends to roughly 3 foot long, comes with a palm sized reel (spinning baitcaster or overhead) and apparently holds 180 metres of 51lb lineA video showing someone using one of them in deep water catching a decent sized fish for how small the rod is, not the best audio but gives a good demonstration of the rod in actionhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9bLa-hy6UYAnyone keen for a pen rod comp? :silly:

That actually looks pretty cool. Do you know how much it costs?? It would be nice to have a 'spare' or backup rod in my kayak to chase garfish and tommies. Of course now it's just not practical to take any more than two rods, but that would easily fit in my forward storage hatch. The humble tommy would feel a lot stronger and put up a decent fight on that I reckon. It would certainly make things more interesting.

That actually looks pretty cool. Do you know how much it costs?? It would be nice to have a 'spare' or backup rod in my kayak to chase garfish and tommies. Of course now it's just not practical to take any more than two rods' date=' but that would easily fit in my forward storage hatch. The humble tommy would feel a lot stronger and put up a decent fight on that I reckon. It would certainly make things more interesting.[/quote']Looks like the proper brand ones are around 25 dollars and come prespooled, I think theres a link to the site on that youtube video. I bought some cheap ones off ebay to have a shot with for like 10 dollars that im not expecting to get much out of, but worth it for the novelty. Considering buying a proper one and taking it out to the jetty one time to see peoples reactions.ditto on the tommies, i just bought a 2 gram 35mm popper to try on the tommies and was looking for a rod to use them with and came across these. Imagine a tommy pulling drag :ohmy: Those wouldn't be bad to keep in the glovebox of your car as wellI'm not sure about them claiming to use 50lb line though, I mean thats pretty heavy. I reckon if I did buy one and it actually came with 50lb I'd strip the reel and put some 4lb braid on there and have the ultimate light gear sessions on tommies
Salmon Trout and Tommies pulling on one of those with 4lb braid would be good fun' date=' I still think it would be great for in my kayak. At 25 bucks you can bash it around and if it breaks? -no biggy! I think a trip to BCF or ebay might be in order! :fishing:[/quote']yeah it'd be great fun to use one of them, add a real kick into catching some bait :laugh: looks alright for 25 bucks I'm amazed at the tiny reels. I can't wait for the ones I ordered to arrive. should be here maybe around the 14th or so because its coming from hong kong.I'm not sure about the ones from bcf but when I looked on ebay I could only find the chinese cheap versions. if you google pen fishing extreme it should take you to the site that sells the ones most people I've seen on youtube using them are sourcing theirs from, looks like a US based company. overhead, bait caster or spinning reel.Imagine the look on someones face when you grab out a pen sized over head rod to catch tommies off the jetty :whistle:

Yeah I've just gone to ebay and was looking at them myself. most are around $7.50 with free postage, or theres one 'buy it now' for $2.50 with $7 postage and they come in a huge variety of colours. I'm definitely getting one, and if I catch just 1 fish on it I'll be stoked, and buy another 3... One in the Yak, and a couple in the glovebox. For 10 bucks for a whole set-up I really don't care how crap it is!

Yeah I ordered one of the overhead ones off ebay to have a try with, looks like the ones on there might be cheap chinese knock offs though. Would be good for a first try though, got one off there for now and if I like the feel of it I'm gonna look for one of the us sites that sell them. As far as I can see the ones in the videos above are the american made ones they retail for around 25 dollars not sure on postage thoughApparently the biggest fish someones caught on them was about a 15lb bass so if they can handle that they must be a decent set up.Should start a pen rod record on the site :fishing:

I had a few of the cheapy ones off of ebay a year or so ago.Then got some thrown in with a birthday present.Honestly, I wouldnt bother with these. They were really crap and the overhead didnt lay the line which made it impossible to use.If anyone's considering one, I would get the brand name ones thathave a chance of working - ie not completely flimsy and shit with dodgie line and an un functional reel.cheers

Honestly' date=' I wouldnt bother with these. They were really crap and the overhead didnt lay the line which made it impossible to use.cheers[/quote']The website for the original brand name one does give you a warning in capital letters saying the overhead doesn't cast, before you buy it. SO at least they're upfront about it.