Help: wanting to learn Rod Building

Howdy all,i'm new here but hope to get some advice or help. As the title says, i would love to have a hobby when i'm not working to build my own rods and maybe even sell on ebay or my own website. I have contacted 1 fella here in Adelaide and he advised me to purchase supplies through him but to watch youtube to teach myself. Now although this is possible, i do prefer a 1 on 1 approach as it's easier for me to learn. I'm sure by watching youtube, i will make alot of mistakes and even waste alot of my supplies, maybe. I even checked his site, based in Adelaide and some of the blanks went up to $300. some decent combo's in the tackle shops arent even that much.So sorry to ramble but any adviceThanks alot.

Mate,Its not at all hard to do. I made two 4120 surf rods when I was 13, no youtube and no help. Still have one. The knots are easy, method is simple. Guide placement is critical. I purchased the blanks from a tackle store (Grants on Grange Rd - maybe long gone?) and made sure I marked out the placement for the guides on a factory rod of the same blank and style before I left. Even made up a jig out of ply with two V cuts (no rollers) to hold the blank whilst binding. I'd even suggest buying some dowel from bunnings, getting yourself some binding material and having a practice. Pretty easy to make up a jig with rollers as well.

I use to make rods for people for a hobby and some pocket money,with the price of Chinese rods being to cheap as competition it wasn't worth going past being a hobby.Well for me it wasn't.You will need rod building machines which will get to several hundred,unless you make your own lathes.It's so competitive out there right now that snyder rods couldn't operate any more and sold out to wilson.Be interesting to see how long wilson tackle can last.