Where are the snapper

Guest macstyles

Guest macstyles

Hi all. Been out to my usual snapper ground twice in the last 4 weeks only to catch a few 7 gill sharks. And not see 1 snapper. I'm thinking it may still be too early in the season for the mass schools to enter the gulf to breed. I usually fish off metro westbeach. Spoken to a couple others and they seem to have caught a few in close at night. My spot is much further out and just wondering how everyone else is fairing and if its still a bit early in the season to see the big schools yet?

If you aren't catching snapper on your usual ground its time to branch out, they are there, its a matter of using your sounder and plonking yourself on top of some fish, especially off west beach. I fish out there regularly and never seem to fish the same spot twice, just cruise around sounding into the current and if you seen something stop on top of it and get some berley down. Dunno if thats what you do already, I don't mean to sound patronizing.

The old boy and I managed a few over the weekend. 3 ruggers and 1 over 60.I have to agree with LAS. I've made 3 trips in the past 3 weeks and managed to bag out with 4 above 60 the first trip, a big fat d0nut the second trip and as mentioned another 4 the third trip.The second trip i anchored where we caught the first lot. Not much was showing on the sounder and the results emulated the sounders reading.The third trip did the same thing, after 30mins of berley and nothing, picked up anchor and sounded around for some activity.After 10mins of berley touching the water, we were on our first Red. They weren't too far away. we had only moved approx 60m in a different direction.Keep at it and they'll come.Savage