For better Salt Water fly tiers than myself

man those things were everywhere, yeah they didn't look like flying ants, probably termites!!! all i no is they where everywhere, i reckon i swallowed about ten and im still washing them out my hair... lol Me and brenton tried to get away from them but there was no escape,luckly i had my kayak and paddle off and left brenton to walk back through them.... lol

• 2 months later...

Mickyj,You are talking about some finesse here. Scottish style, parachute fly, they have large,lightweight hackles so that they land softly and float, as used on North Atlantic Salmon, and extra light tippets so that the fly floats down gently. Would probably only work when termites or some other bugs are swarming. I will see if I can dig up some pics. RogerG

Mickyj,You are talking about some finesse here. Scottish style, parachute fly, they have large,lightweight wings, as used on North Atlantic Salmon, and extra light tippets so that the fly floats down gently. Would probably only work when termites or some other bugs are swarming. I will see if I can dig up some pics. RogerG

gee rogerg (no pun intended)That was way back in November

For your bee type bug an easy, quick one is the base of a big, wide feather, split the quill so that it is flat and easy to wind around the shank of the hook, whip the quill to the eye end of shank and wind enough of the feather closely around the shank until level with the point. whip the end securely and cut off surplus feather. With a pair of sharp scissors trim the feather down a bit at a time until it is bristle like.Similare to a crew cut. You can bulk this fly out by winding chenyle (Pipe cleaners without the wire) type stuff first then overlaying with feather to form the hackle.You can put eyes on too but I doubt if the fish will notice!