Wind-on leader?

Hey all just wondering if I should buy a wind-on for my setup it's a fin nor BLD25 mated to a rovex 15-24kg stick and spooled with 500m of 30lb platypus mono. It's primarily aimed at targeting eaglies and small-medium sharks. Was thinking maybe 100lb top shot or DJP what are your thoughts? I'm kinda new to this LBG stuff lol cheers for any advice

One of the guys on here will be able to help you more than me on this as im not 100% ....but from memory I always thought wind on leaders were notfor casting ? (they are more for boat use ?) and as you say your LBG im not sure if it would be the correct form of leader to be using. I asked advice on here a few days ago about catching eaglies as iv never caught one ..and no one mentioned a wind on leader....I was just going to use 50lb braid mainline onto a 60lb mono leader. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

might not b quite the same situation but ...qhen ballooningfor sharks i run 600mtr of braid mainline onto 150pnd shocker about 5metres worth then onto 300pnd wire trace maybe bit over a metre....mind u thats anything upto round 8ft of fish an stil that can let u down... :clap: ..u mite find it hard casting sumfn like that of jetty but hopefully gives u a better idea..thatl be ample for big rays to...cheers

I use wind on leader quite a bit for braid. It is really good to be able to load up a rod with a heavy bait on 100lb leader for casts. With mono I'd just tie a really big loop with a bimini twist (best way but you'll need a mate to help with a big loop) or a spider hitch. Then tie that double line to your terminal tackle. I can normally get about 4 metres of double line so negate the need for a wind on leader.

Cheers knackers I never even thought of that D'oh! could make it that little bit easier to cast. Not that this combo casts a mile anyway but seeing as most of my baits will be on the bottom it seems like the go. I bought a 300lb wind-on for my 9/0 and 24kg big shark combo which my mate recommended he's pretty cluey with all that but cast distance isn't really a factor with that one as everything is ballooned out. Might just try the doubled up line so 60lb to a tough snap swivel and then 100lb fluoro trace to the hook for rays and some light-medium wire for the toothies

If you do get into wanting to cast further you might want to consider top shotting your reels with some braid. Then you can do a nice tight bimini onto some wind on mono leader, or tie something like a slim beauty or yucatan knot, onto some normal heavier mono. It is just tidier with smaller knots and the braid should get you a few more yards. I double all the time with my TLD25 and 50 lb mono. The knot does look rather large but I can still cast a goodly distance with a 9 ft LBG rod. Far enough on most surf beaches anyway to get some sharks. Maybe the knot might do some long term damage to the guides but haven't heard of this before?