Crabs for snapper bait

Proceeding the snapper season closure, I had noticed their stomach contents chockers with rock crabs. Well for my land based fishing anyway. Im talking about the small brown rock crabs that seem prolific round most of the metro rock walls not sand or blueys.Was wondering if anyone has targeted such using crabs as bait, particly how to bait them up? Im generally tring the cast a fair way out 3-4oz lead ect so need to be on the hooks farily well. Do i pull a couple of legs off & thread the hook thru? Cut them in half and tie on with bait thread? Back of shell on or off? What sized hooks, I usually fish tommie/squid on 2 x 4/0s but cant see that working for crabs?Any ideas out there folks?

I have used rock crabs for bait land based with success but was a fair while ago when there was more snapper to be had.I used a single 6/0 octopus style hook & put the hook in at the rear leg & out at the rear of the crab between the rear legsWARNING: take care, this really pisses them off when liveYorky

squidlingused to fish the magazine quite often 20 odd years ago, my pb snapper of 27lb came from the rocks there. worst weather for fishing was the best weather for fishing i.e. 30knot winds, pissing with rain, freezing cold but all worth it when your rod bent over, back then 18-23lb snapper were common. Still the odd one pulled from there but not like it used to be, but then where is?Yorky

youve got a bit experience over me yorky,ive only been snappering with a boat or even from land, for only the past 2 years and never caught one at wallaroo yet. i had beginners luck the very first time i went out for snapper with the old man at outer harbour, with my first ever snapper being a 7 kg whopper and the same with my dad- that was an unforgettabe day- but ever since then its been abit hit and miss down there-but i just love it-the thrill and excitmeent of a rod screaming and taking off-ive been going quite alot locally at north haven-ive only got a 15ft boat and dont go out that far but ive seen enough evidence that they do come in really close if you go at the right time and keep on persisting. Are you from yp or adelaide?