would like some advice on combos

Am looking at getting 2 surf rods, one for bigger species and one for smaller species. Am wanting to target snapper/gummies with the heavier rod and the lighter one for flathead, salmon etc. I also want both to be egg beater reels. I'm not confident using alvey reels and I don't like casting overheads (bird nest king). while practice makes perfect I need more practicality for now while I'm time poor. Also looking in the lower price bracket. I'd love a daiwa or shimano or custom rod but for now the money isn't there. New or second hand doesn't bother me either.As always,Cheers in advance

I usually go for gear priced in the mid range (around $300-400 for a combo), especially with surf gear which cops a beating, but if you don't have the money you can get away with the cheap stuff.Try to stay away from those cheap Kmart/Big W surf combos, the reels are plastic crap and won't last long. It's better to lay out a bit more on the reel so it actually works and doesn't fall apart immediately. Then match the half decent reel to a cheapish rod, and as you save more money you can upgrade if you like.I bought a heavy surf rod from ebay, a store called Tacklemania, awhile back because it was going cheap (less than $40 with shipping) and figured if it was crap then I wouldn't be out much. It turned out to be a pretty good rod and casts a 6oz sinker and big bait quite well. So you don't necessarily have to spend heaps to get decent gear.Best bet is to go to your local shop and let them help you out. ;)

Mate I was looking for a surf combo last year was willing to pay up to 350 then I found a nice okuma egg beater combo for $160 brand new ummm and rrrrrrr about it and thought stuff it ill give it a go with a good warranty on it cant be to bad and it has been great caught heaps of big salmon up the west coast and smashed some eagle rays on it drag has held up well and I am happy I bought it. I cant give you the exact details on it as I am on barrow island working at the moment but let me know if you are interested and when I get home I can give you the details so you can check it out.

For your heavier surf combo, you could have a Penn spinfisher combo from RA. Very solid reel and good length rod.http://www.rayannes.com.au/daiwa-shimano-reels-australia/rod-reel-combos/surf-combos-spin-overhead/penn-spinfisher-950-0r-850ssm-spinfisher-ssm-12ft-surf-rod-119-free-line/For the lighter combo, I personally use the Shimano Sonic Pro V2 902 with a 4000 size reel. The rod is perfect for throwing metal lures at salmon in the surf and graphite so very responsive. The reel can be any sort of decent quality and filled with 15lb line and you are set.http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Shimano-Son-Pro-V2-Spin-Rod-9-6-8kg-2pc.aspx?pid=288104&menuFrom=30101&variant=true#CrossThese combos are around the medium quality end of the scale, around $150-$200 a combo, but should do the job you want.