Hi guys,

I recently went beach fishing for salmon in far from ideal conditions, it was blowing a Gail, big surf and a strong current. Normally I fish with 10-15 pound mono and an 80-100 gram star sinker with no problems. On this occasion my line was not anchoring in the surf and the line was moving with the current fast. I changed sinker to an 80 gram anchoring surf sinker (attached) it held beautifully however on 2 occasions my line buried itself and i had to break the relatively new line. Am I fishing too light for the conditions, did I bend the wire to much on my sinker? Any advice would be great?

168564.jpg

try 10kg line the sand anchors tend to get buried very quickly, down at salt creek where a sand anchor is a must i found any more than 30 minutes & you could almost kiss it goodbye so you do need to lean on the rod every 10 minutes or so to keep the sinker attached 

Graplings (like your pic above) suck (my opinion) as they become easily embeded in the sand and then you have to bust off, as you've mentioned.

Also not a huge fan of stars as the 'plough' thru the water upon retreval which can be a pain.

Had a similar discussion a few years ago and stumbled across the breakaway style, which i had previously never heard of.  Breakaways are more a 'torpedo' shape and are a dream to retreave back in too.

Some older posts:

http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/24938-homemade-grapnel-sinkers/?hl=breakaway&do=findComment&comment=267504

http://www.strikehook.com/index.php/topic/24158-breakaway-sinkers/?hl=breakaway

Thanks for all your replys. I think I'll change sinkers and invest in some breakaway sinkers as mentioned. Especially for standard sand bottom beach fishing I should only be losing sinkers to fish. Glad others have had issues with them, I know im no gun fisherman but felt stupid losing them.