Old school tackle

• 2 weeks later...

I just might be able to help with some bit'snpieces Spiny :?: Great looking old reels there. Maybe Elvis may have used one ? lolI used to have a fantastic old Penn like the red one Butters has, that is until I took it to a shop for repairs, and when I went to get it back, the new owners had sold It !!!Cheers afishyfish

• 5 months later...
Guest undertaker

I still use predominantly old school tackle.The old Penns are so reliable,and are easy to use for a vast array of situations.My big mulloway combo is a 12' 8 wrap custom paired with a Penn 4/0 loaded with 50lb braid.Casts like a dream,reliable and a strong unit to boot.....will handle the toothies as well.Having said that,todays tackle is a joy to use as well,just depends on how old and nostalgic you feel I guess.

Spinyeel, maybe you can help me out seein is you have a penchant for old surf overheads, coz I've got one of the first on my hands!I dunno if anyone remembers the old Seascape overheads.These were manufactured in Australia. A father/son backyard shed business (Wallsend Engineering) in Newcastle NSW, and were the first of the high speed reels. The next major company to perfect the high speed overhead was Shimano.They were a chrome-plated reel with an aluminum spool, designed and renowned for long casting of heavy lures from the beach. They had a push button or lever behind the drag wheel, which released the spool for casting, and were manufactured until the late 60's when the father died.I recently had one come into my possesion from an aging relative, who actually purchased his in Newcastle, circa 1952. This one I have my hands on, being much older is blue coloured, before the chrome plating of the 60's, and I believe a 5:1 gear ratio, instead of the later 6:1 ratio.It's showing obvious signs of age being now over 55 years old, but for that age it's in remarkable and fully operational condition.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageI'll be hanging onto it as a collectible, as I'm absolutely amazed at the engineering which has gone into these things, and the fact that they were making aluminium spools and high speed gearing over 50 years ago here in Australia. I just need to clean a bit of surface corrosion off the mount, but I fully intend to spool it up wiv a bit of line and give it a whirl at some stage too, just to see how well they really do cast.This isn't for sale, but I'd be interested to get a guesstimate of it's value as a collectible if anyone can help out.

Guest undertaker

That's in pretty good condition for a 55 year old reel Ranger.I lent a "mate" an ABU 7000 once about 20 years ago,for a week end trip to Browns...........would've been happy if I got it back looking like the Seascape!Was the last time I lent any tackle to anyone as well.......lesson learnt.

Me too Ut, I did the same, lent a mate a reel for a Browns trip.I was shocked when I got it back,.......... shocked to hear there was still a beach there, as I swear most of it was in my reel. {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cry.gif

The old Seascapes in good condition,complete with boxes and paper work can fetch over $200. I don't sell my old reels,I fish as many of them as I can. Something about a big Salt Creek Salmon on an old cane rod loaded with a vintage overhead. {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

The old Seascapes in good condition,complete with boxes and paper work can fetch over $200.

Thanks bloke! I wasn't so much concerned with monetary value, coz I figured it was only worth a handful of dollars, but moreso, collectable value. ie: would a collector show any interest in something like this (fairly modern 1952 overhead), or are collectors looking for much older or more specific reels (ie: British wooden centrepins, American Brass overheads, etc)?
  • 2 weeks later...

Being a Newcastle boy these days Ranger, I will put the feelers out about that reel. I believe the higher ratio version was an after sale mod supplied by the maker initially. Very occasionaly you see one turn up in second hand shops here, although haven't seen one for years now.

The Seascape 621s were the numero uno high speed reels on the N.S.W. coast during the 70s.They caught a lot of impressive Tuna and King's amongst other's.The main problem was the pinion gear which only had about 8 teeth and stripped on a frequent basis.The later 621s came with a spare pinion gear when bought new.

Found out a little bit about you reel Ranger, but not a lot. A guy on our local fishing site here had a relative who actually worked at Wallsend Eng.The high speed ( 6 to 1 ) reels came later in production and were stainless steel.Production ceased altogether around 1977.The reels were quite good in their time, but they had no cast control built in, and the drag was poor. The gearing was reasonably sturdy, although many reels were "blown up" on some big Tuna and other speedsters.They sold for around $35 in the 70s.If I hear any more I will pass it on.

That's fascinating stuff Spiny. I had no idea so many people had a crack at making reels in Aust. A lot of them are a simple sidecast design. Ranger, they tell me Seascapes had a couple of models, the Major and the Minor ( sounds like a Pommy car ). The Minor having a narrower spool. Later some reels had a red anodised spool.

The Seascape 621s were the numero uno high speed reels on the N.S.W. coast during the 70s.They caught a lot of impressive Tuna and King's amongst other's

Thats all that has to be said, how many people can attest honestly to catching Kings and Tuna off the rocks, not too many , so IMO those reels did what they had too,......set the foundation for those that pursue the pastime in the future....with less fish, more advanced gear.....

If anyone is interested (Spiny?) I spotted a Surfmaster reel in a Cash Converters shop, 5 minutes walk from my place today. It looks almost identical to a Seascape, they have $45 on it. Not bad nick by the looks. Correction, just had another look today $40. Similar to the one presently showing on page 10 of reelwidow, except not anodised, and has a spring loaded bar across the front of it (casting aid?)

Chez_piccs_0073.jpgsurfmaster 1 (Small).JPG[/attachment:2e9km1cx]MW.jpgsurfmaster 2 (Small).JPG[/attachment:2e9km1cx]surfmaster 3 (Small).JPG[/attachment:2e9km1cx]Took a few pics of the reel. In case you don't know I live in Newcastle, NSW.If anyone collects these things, PM me, I'm sure something could be worked out. Sorry if any PMs did not go through, or weren't received, I think the forum upgrade had something to do with it. size=640http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/sqajVAKv__surfmaster_1_Small.JPG[/img] size=640http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/zWjqGXxr__surfmaster_2_Small.JPG[/img] size=640http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/XL7VhFKk__surfmaster_3_Small.JPG[/img]

There have been around 2 hundred manufacturers of fishing reels in Australia in the past. {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gif We have only got Alvey left.

A.F.AAcademyAceAcmeAjaxAllanAlphaAlveyAndreasAnnearAnserApexApoidArkArk (Game Reel)AtalantaAtlasAustinAutoAuto-FliteBalinsonBarrierBell BryantBielBoadenBonzaBoothButler CammCapstanCastmasterCast-WayCeloxChristensenClasmiClimaxCosmosCowellCRGCrouchCurlCussonsDareDawsonDawson PerpetualDecaDerwentDinkumDuperiteDuxEastEastwaysEbroEildonEliteEnglandEnsorEnterpriseErskinErskineEurekaEze Cast FergusonFloridaForrestaFrenchG.E.SGemGodfreyGoodwinGoulburnGraemeH & HHalcoHallHandleyHarradineHartsportHawkHedsonHollow SpoolHumeIdealIrelandJ.B. Multi-SpoolJ.M. GilliesJamesJC&SJeffriesJohnsonJustus KaluaKiewaKingfisherKirtonKnightKorkaKrossL.P.S.LandemLan-MorLasLaurieLestaLifetimeLilly of the ValleyLimaLittle GiantLixallM.S.Magna-FliteMakoMakooraMarciMarlinMayesMcCarthyMichaMilancoMontagueMoreton BayMorrisMT NeptunaOcean KingOffshoreOrmistonOutboardOxbroP.D.J.P-APacificPacific (Melbourne)PastimePerfectPhillipsPilotPlatypusPollackPorpoisePrestoQuality MoldingsQueensland Fishing TackleQuickcastQuickspoolRainbeauRainbowRaviaRegalRG RodcraftRollickRustlessS.F.T.S.SamsonScotSea KingSeamartinSeascapeSeloxShambrookSil RohuSlikSmith & JonesSouthamSpaldingSpinallSpinmasterSports MasterSportsmanSportsmasterSteeliteStevensStreamcraftSuper San ToySuperflex "Shannon"SurfSurfmasterSutcliffeSwordfish TallonTarponTasmanTaylorTerigalThompsonTopnotchTownsonTroutmasterTrue-CastUndoverVanguardVelosVeloxVimWallaceWalparWaltonWareWillisWoodsWoodsideZephyrI sure would like to get my hands on one of each! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif