Right Weight Rod for the Job

Yo South Ozz Fly fishers. I have an 8/9wt Penn International Rod couple with reel, I have floating line and a spool of intermidate. Just wondering is this to much rod for the onk chasing the odd mullie. Do any of you guys go surf side? Have a ton of Barra style flies would these be suitable for chasing mullies and sambos. Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated.Kind Regards1fish :fishing:

Yo South Ozz Fly fishers. I have an 8/9wt Penn International Rod couple with reel, I have floating line and a spool of intermidate. Just wondering is this to much rod for the onk chasing the odd mullie. Do any of you guys go surf side? Have a ton of Barra style flies would these be suitable for chasing mullies and sambos. Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated.Kind Regards1fish :fishing:

1fish I only fish West lakes and use a 6weight .You should be ok with the 8/9 wt .Not sure what Barra style flies are but if the Salmon and mullies are feeding they will take just about anything .and have hooked both on the same style of fliesI probably fish wrong but I look for bait schools breaking the surface .Thats when the Salmon or mullies are feeding .Cheers

G'day 1fish i fish the onka alot on fly your 8/9wt will be more than enough to handle most schoolies i prefer to use a floating line myself. as for flies ive found smaller patterns tried on sz 4 or 2 mostly weighted to cope withany tide flow. a fluro leader of 10 to 12 pound (6 kilo) helps. most of my fish have come from the bottom of the tide when the fish are down deep & resting up near structure. i have tried at night for schoolies chasingbaitfish, hav'nt had the same success as daylight fishing. as for the surf I would try around the onka mouth & along the shore at pt nourlunga south, might pick up a flathead. good luck 1fish.

Cheers dudes you may see me thrashing the water to foam soon ;D . Recon me Barra flys should be ok have Clousers, Blacken barreds, Pink Things on hooks ranging from size 1's upto 4/0's and heaps of others have a few epoxy shrimps I tied myself recon they should get some interest. Have to drop my tippet down A LOT :o Will hopefully start bagin a few fish see what this damn wind does. :fishing:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! 1Fish,Anything that you have found successful on Barra or Jacks would be suitable for mullies, flathead, salmon and even bream. If you have any variations on The Deceiverthey are especially good for bream in Chatraux/White. Pink Things will nail Redfin and large Snook. As for you gear, it sounds similar to what a lot of us use, surfside. Your shrimps sound interesting, especially for lizards.CheersRogerG

Try your clouster minnows on them. They must have been blokes going for the pink, it works on me as well.

Actually they needed a fly with a smaller head .I learnt two valuable lessons today .1 Don't make a fly with a huge head on the hook's I'm using.it covers the point .Five lost fish and I have learnt that one.2 when using the 9ft 6wt the longer the mono leader the better the casting.compared with casting with a short leader from Saturday.3 throw in a third one a big fly is hard to cast on a 6 weight i relearnt this one.

Micky, try having your leader around the same length as your rod or a foot longer.As for hooks a lot of experienced flyfishers use aberdeen model hooks, a size 6 would be ideal for your 6 weight rod.Cheers, Dave.

I had it around that if not longer for some reason some one had told me to use shorter leaders.Do find with the longer rod the longer leader the better.And I'm using a gama thingee size 6 But it was the head of the fly causing me problems today.