thoughts on this please...just back from a rock hop to a spot i know...when i was getting ready i noticed a strong pong from my bucket... WTF... somehow i had put a squid head in the wrong bag, and its been there since friday night...( 3 nights) didnt fancy putting it in the garbage bin so took it to the rocks to feed the crabs...decided to place on a hook and cast it out as an experiment....IT WAS IN THE WATER LESS THAN A MINUTE, BEFORE SNAPPED UP BY A 45CM SNAPPER...who said fresh is best? this head was very stinky, and a dark shade of pink... was discusting used fresh bait after that and didnt have another bite...

hmmm.. might have to empty the freezer on the lawn tonight for the weekend :)

you shouldnt have to do that butters,you usally have left overs in ya boat from previous fishn trips hehehe
that was a sore point when i owned a boat... first trip in it, then pushed in shed for a hoilday in adelaide for week in summer... got home opened the shed, and fell over... WTF IS THAT SMELL.....kicked the trailer out, and hosed the boat very well.... added dissenfectant, and found 2 cockles in the well... JUST 2... was enough to WOW... took a week of so to get smeel out of boat, and 2 weeks for the gargae to airate....

My grandfather used to be a hand line pro snapper fisherman back in the 80's and he used to say a smelly pink squid head is the best bait he ever used.

I remember hearing the same thing when I fished the stones. Reckon if you read some of the old anglers journals from the 60's n 70's they advacate the same thing.Can recall reading the suggestion that because reds are scavangers that rather than putting ya tommies on nice n fresh. That stomping on them will see them produce more readily.My thoughts on the stinky vs fresh is that fresh is best. Even if its only to make your time on the boat more enjoyable, but I'm guessing that a smelly stinky squidhead produces its own berley trail and hence is more readily found.

only way to settle it is to try it, so next time i go the rocks im going to try a smelly bait, and fresh bait... both squid.... only trouble will be if i catch 2 fish...the smelly i hooked the snapper on last time , could have been a luck thing.... BUT my bro's bait which (fresh) was very close to mine, such is the way we cast from the rocks... he can cast further.( he is a big bloke with a heap of strentgh behind him), but i cast straighter... i hooked up and he didnt...nor did either of us have a bite when the smelly stuff was used up.

My grandfather used to swear by cuttlefish that were dead and floating. Everytime he saw seagulls on the water he'd point the boat in that direction and go have a look. Must say we did seem to catch alot of whiting and snapper.

Interesting point.I can recall redaing an article in a national magazine describing similar things in Pt Phillip Bay. IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO BUT......the jist of the story was how this particular angler would catch some good snapper by targeting these floating cuttlies. Cating unweighted candles or other suitable baits around the floating carcas. I cant recall how it was that boat noise etc didnt put them off but the idea seemed to have merit I think

I have proved the last 2 fishing trips that you don't need fresh bait to catch fish.Found a couple of bags of burley cockle from when SFS were doing 2 for 1 cockle deals( they were yellow and dry on the edges) and some old pink squid also from a few years ago. Have bagged out twice on whiting, caught ruggers flathead , tommies and shark.

I have proved the last 2 fishing trips that you don't need fresh bait to catch fish.Found a couple of bags of burley cockle from when SFS were doing 2 for 1 cockle deals( they were yellow and dry on the edges) and some old pink squid also from a few years ago. Have bagged out twice on whiting, caught ruggers flathead , tommies and shark.

Im sure stinky off bait works ,but stuff having to smell the shit all day wofting past ya nose with the sea breaze,and having stinky fingers lol

Im sure stinky off bait works ,but stuff having to smell the shit all day wofting past ya nose with the sea breaze,and having stinky fingers lol
well ... im ready to use stinky bait....Posted Image