Dolphins and Mulloway

I was fishing for mullies in the port early this am with hb + sp (no luck), when a dolphin showed up, got me thinking, would a dolphin in the vicinity spook legal sized mulloway? I'm unsure whether a dolphin would prey on a fish that large, or would the presence of a larger predator scare a good sized mullie anyway, our would the mullie see the dolphin as competing for the available food source and go on the chew a bit more aggresively? The dolphin being there at least let me know that there was a supply of bait, not that it did me much good. I would be interested to know what people's thoughts are on this as I don't have much experience fishing amongst dolphins, or for mulloway either. Thanks.

When i fished the port for mully we caught quite a few schoolies just as the dolphins came past infact i was always pretty hopeful when i saw them swimming through.I wouldn't be surprised if the dolpins follow the mully hoping they scare a few fish out of there hidey holes in the same way shags will hang around snook etc cheers brenton

• 2 weeks later...

I have found dolphins to be both good and bad. I like to have them around when im chasing salmon trout in one of my port spots as they push the school infront of me most of the time. They killed off a whiting session for me this season though. I'm not sure if they are good or bad for mullies but have caught schoolies with dolphins in the vicinity before, but usually when they are not around.

Dolphins will chase lots of fish away. Alot of people love dolphins but i hate anything that can scare away fish. Dolphins, seals some birds etc. But one day i was fishing at KI catching salmon off the beach. I caught two Salmon with my hands because dolphins had already came through and cracked their necks, free meal ;D