MURRAY COD SIZE & BAG CHANGES EFFECTIVE JAN 1ST 2008

Hi guy's, just received notice from PIRSA, Murray Cod size change effective Jan 1 2008 will lift from 50cm to 60cm minimum & remain at 100cm maximum, the removal of fish over 100cm from the water is illegal, ie if you catch a large fish over 100cm & want a trophy shot, start swimming or swim it to the bank & hop in to cradle it for a photo. Also season closure will be extended from August 1 2008 until 31 Dec 2008. The reasons are obvious, clear, low water & limited flow have made the spawn process near non existant so it is crucial to protect the breeders more so than in the past. This does not mean for a second that you can't target & catch them, but the expectancy of looking after the species is paramount. Finatic

Good to see something positive being done,but I think the Murray is doomed.During the last 30 years the degradation I have witnessed makes me want to scream.Over use of the limited flow for agriculture and the damage caused to the banksides by power boats is killing our lifeblood as I type.Time for drastic measures,who gives a damn if it upsets a few people. :evil: :evil:

i agree with the regulation of the size and bag limit for Murray Cod.I've never caught one but I'm sure i speak for most people when i say.We want the fish numbers to stay as they are or increase. As with every species i encounter,..... i want my family and future generations to have the same privileges as we had.How many stories start with.....When i was young the fish were so thick.or ....i caught snapper from here.....ori don't fish this gulf because it's fished out.sustainability is importantI'm only 32 but i wanna be able to take my kids fishing when they grow up.I'ts not only about the fish. I'ts about spending time in the fresh air together away from the TV and computer.. I shared so many good memories with my dad going camping and fishing.

• 1 month later...

I will probably get bagged for saying this elsewhere, but the guys on this forum seem cool.Now i fished up the murray since i was a kid but never hardly saw any cod only small ones.In the last few years it seems all the rage to get them trolling with the latest advances in gear /lures/ electric motor technology.But the guys doing this by putting themselves up on forums going on how great it is, have alerted many to a fishery that most never knew existed.Many more are doing it, no none has any 100% idea of the mortality rate of holding up a big cod, now I see they hold them under the water without lifting them out[supposed to be the way now]Unforunately what they dont realise is the more it gets publicised , the more people get into it and the more chance of people doing the wrong thing.But these guys get all upset ect when they see a dead cod, someone holding one up out of season ect.But they are partly to blame IMO, as there is a fair percentage out there who dont do the right thing.These would never of known about it , but because of the publicity now they do.And this is part of the reason for the rule changes.Its no ones fault as it is natural instinct to be proud and share your good luck, but in the case of the murray Cod I dont think publicity has done it any favours.Cheers {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

Guest Butters

i get what your saying cal.. end of the day fishermen love to tell there stories and if they got some pics to back it up they are the man.. but if it means the fish dieing i think being the sensible fisherman would prove to be the better option.. but people will be people and others will do different.. {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gifmy 13.5 cents {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif

Very Well Put Cal,I agree with you and as a person who sells cod lures, and dont get me wrong im happy to sell em, I feel obligated to educate as best i can, customers who are going cod fishing Its a fine line to tread between selling the right lure and providing some conservation info without being too much of a Knob!As far as people posting pics, i like to see comments about how they had to get wet because removing the fish from the water is a no no, Or Cod in slings designed to support their weight.Perhaps if people start posting big cod pictures here, the best we can do is to applaud correctly taken pics and make helpfull suggestions to those doing what WE percieve as being the wrong thing.......my 2 sense!