Budget Rod?

Hi guys I am looking for a little help with rod selection as there seem to be so many choices even when restricted by budget. I am looking at purchasing a shimano 6500btr and a rod to suit. I can upgrade to a combo that comes with a 7 foot catana 8-10 kg rod or am I better off with something else like spectrum plus, beast master or eclipse in the shimano range or maybe even a silstar crystal tip. I am a little confused by the shimano range as there are so many to choose from. This rod and reel combo is mainly to be used for snapper fishing. cheers.

I wont recommend a rod from your choices, coz my own choice and budget is much different to your own, but what I would suggest is that the baitrunner is a pretty heavy reel.I'd take the reel into the nearest sponsor, tell em your budget and get them to show you a range of rods within that price range to suit. After checking them out and mounting your reel, you may find that you lean towards something other than the Shimano rods, and don't forget that you can apply for a Strikehook members card, which will give you a discount at sponsor stores, matched with some very good advice! http://www.strikehook.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,78/topic,2304.0/

No mate! Shimano aren't the bottom of the range.I'm a fan of the Shimano reels (Baitrunners, Calcuttas, TLD's, Charter Specials, Tiagras) but I'm not as keen on the Shimano rods. That's only my own personal opinion though, and as they say "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one!".I do believe there is quite a range of suitable rods out there, and that's why I think you need to lay your budget on the table and explore ALL options, coz I think you'll find something better for your money. Our site sponsors are guys who's opinion DOES matter, they will give ya good advice, show you ALL options, and give you a good deal to boot!I have recently seen a range of budget rods called "Asagai" (or something like that) and these are fast gaining a great reputation amongst local anglers.

Took your advice Ranger and rang one of your sponsors who were very helpful and for the 2nd time did themselves out of a sale by being honest and giving excellent advice, which goes to show that not every retailer out there is out to make a quick buck at someone elses expense.

Mate, our sponsor has done themselves out of nothing! They know the value of honest advice and good service these days, and that is why we value them as sponsors. Now that you know that you can trust their service and advice, I'm sure they will have gained yet another loyal customer, and in the long run, their help and advice will be rewarded with your constant ongoing custom! There's a lot more to successful business than just pushing a product to make a sale!I attempt to do the same with my own business. I'm not the cheapest around, and I'm not the most expensive around, but I try to remain competitive, whilst offering quality service and genuine advice, and I look for repeat custom and loyalty, rather than a quick one off sale.I hope that you now have value for your dollar, and the most suitable rod for your needs!